2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wipers keep blowing fuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 PM
davidsal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wipers keep blowing fuse

Hi, i have a Ram 1500 1994.

The wiper blades stopped working so I checked the fuses and found that a yellow 20A was blown. i replaced it and tried to the wipers again, but they still didnt work. so i checked the fuse and the new fuse was blown. i replaced it again and tried the blades. they still didnt work. i checked the fuse and it was again blown. something must be blowing the fuse each time i hit the wiper blades.

i'm not very car savy so i'm thinking of taking it to a mechanic to get the wiring checked, but before i do i thought i would check and see if anyone here knows of something i could do to fix it myself.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:17 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First off, you have a short somewhere. Do you have tilt steering? If so, check the wiring in the column. If not, check it anyway. Check all the wires you can find up in the dash behind the fuse box, going to and from the steering column, through the firewall, and to the wiper motor.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:30 PM
davidsal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the quick reply.

what am i checking for?

i'm not very mechanical, but i can follow instructions. when i check the wiring what am i looking for?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:32 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Missing insulation on any wires allowing the wire itself to touch either another wire or something metal causing a short.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:07 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

mark the wiper position on the windshield with tape.

lift the wiper blades straight up, then remove them from the splined posts by sliding the release catch and lifting straight up. they come off easily, so if they don't come off easily, be gentle and don't break anything. align the base perpendicular with the post and keep trying.

remove the plastic clips that look like allen heads. they're just push on clips.

remove plastic cowl and find the wiper motor.

unplug the electrical connector from the motor. replace the fuse, turn on wipers and test for voltage and/or blown fuse. if fuse remains good and voltage is present, you likely have a bad wiper motor. if fuse blows, you have a short at the tilt action of the steering column.

to get to the tilt section, remove the column covers with a long skinny torx. unscrew tilt wheel handle. see the big wad of wires.... check for breaks or bare wires.

Quick Reply: wipers keep blowing fuse