2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

All over road

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:16 PM
SlingMudd
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All over road

Hey so when I am driving in the highway my truck is all over the lane from one side to another. Sometimes it will ride real smooth and then it will start to vibe and shake a little bit. Does anyone know what would cause these issue's thanks

Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 PM
SlingMudd
Rookie

Originally Posted by SlingMudd
Hey so when I am driving in the highway my truck is all over the lane from one side to another. Sometimes it will ride real smooth and then it will start to vibe and shake a little bit. Does anyone know what would cause these issue's thanks

Also sometime when I pull in the gas station and where the dip is I sometime hear like a piping noise from the front end

Old 08-26-2012, 07:13 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check ball joints and tie rod ends as well as slop in steering gearbox.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I have that problem and ive done both wheel bearings...all 4 balljoints..inner tie rod and outter tie rods....still have a problem...

I think its my gear box because you can move my wheel from 11 to 1 o clock eithout the wheels turning...

Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Did nt mean to post that yet...

But thats something you should check...search the forum and read about the bushing in thw steering column...that could be your problem too...

Basically im saying that it may be more than the obvious because like ive said i have the same problem and ive already done all front end parts and no fix.....

And to those who know about my boomerang control arm its not that because problem was there before i bent it....but ive been running mine like that for two years...ive gotten use to keeping it in control

Old 08-26-2012, 07:37 PM
gdstock
Legend

It will not be the bushing in the column. That will give a clunking sound upon turning, but not the wandering issue.

May also want to check the shocks as they could be causing the noise you hear hitting a dip as well.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:00 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well wandering all over the road can be a hand full of things, but i would inspect the tie rods, check ur sway bar, and see if the steearing box is good. u can tighten the box a little but dont go to far. im talkin like 1/4 or 1/2 is prob good, then test it, then again if needed. as for the play in the steering wheels i had my ramcharger do this, i found the slop to come from the steering shaft itself, so i shimmed it up by the firewall and now its all good, it applies more tenion on the shaft where it oes into the box and doesnt have slop anymore.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Mine doesn't really wander too much but it does the same thing, has a inch or two of slop after 3/4 turn of steering box adjustment, adjustment did take some slop away, actually going to try another half turn and see what that does. My ball joints are good, as are my tie rod ends. The only real question mark I have is the pitman arm joint or stabilizer shock and then after those, the steering bushing & steering box.

Maybe check the steering box & shaft for play and the pitman arm.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:58 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Mine does the same thing 11 to 1 o'clock without any wheel movement. Got pulled over for suspected DUI
with strong side wind one night. Zman has a link for rocksolidramsteering.com that's supposed to tighten steering wheel movement like night and day.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine was all over the place also, even worse on ruff roads. That is until a sway bar link broke last week. Without the sway bar doing its job, the truck handles a WHOLE lot better. So I removed it completely form the truck. I can keep it in the lane and not fight the wheel anymore.

It handled like crap since Ive had it and have put all new steering linkage, rock solid steering, alignments, and adjusted the steering box a few times to try and "dial" it in.

In the end all it took was the sway bar to be disconnected. Go figure. And why this works so well?? I dont know, but Im not going to argue about it.

Quick Reply: All over road