2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Runs good sometimes, sometimes not

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Forceofwon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Know where to buy a NEW engine wiring harness?

Well, now I am convinced it is a wiring problem. Sometimes this truck runs great, then hit a bump and it starts losing power or misfiring. Over the weekend I inspected and replaced alot of wire connections, still made no difference. But here is something odd. The green/orange wire, found connected to alot of things, like all the grounds on the fuel injectors-has some auqa colored stuff in the wires-kinda like your battery does sometimes. My dad told me that indicates that it had over heated at one point, and thats why the copper is that color. So, I am really convinced it is the wiring.
Does anyone know of ny place or site that would sell the engine wiring harness for a 1995 318 engine manual transmission, with A/C? It actually wouldnt be very hard to replace-just unplug everything inderneath, then from the PCM and injectors and other engine modules, then 3 connectors going into the truck. If anyone knows of anyopne who sells them new_PLEASE write me

Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Forceofwon
Does anyone know of ny place or site that would sell the engine wiring harness for a 1995 318 engine manual transmission, with A/C?
Wrecking yard.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do a leakdown test to see that the engine is not mixing fluids or low in compression. HOWEVER, my thoughts since I have had this issue on dodge trucks & GM cars, is that the coil may be shot. The coil, like many sensors, is encased in hard resin. It can be bench tested & show to be good, but that does not mean that it is. As things heat up, they expand, as they cool down, contraction. A crack in that resin wont cause an issue so much when it is cool, but as it heats up the crack can expand & cause the issue you are having. I also hit a dip in a road on a residential street 1 night when I was lost really hard & it ran only on 4, then I realized the coil wire boot was attached, but the wire underneath bumped up & off. I pushed it back on & the smoking stopped & it ran like a champ again. I hope something helps you soon!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Forceofwon
Amateur
Smile Coil

Originally Posted by peshewa
You can do a leakdown test to see that the engine is not mixing fluids or low in compression. HOWEVER, my thoughts since I have had this issue on dodge trucks & GM cars, is that the coil may be shot. The coil, like many sensors, is encased in hard resin. It can be bench tested & show to be good, but that does not mean that it is. As things heat up, they expand, as they cool down, contraction. A crack in that resin wont cause an issue so much when it is cool, but as it heats up the crack can expand & cause the issue you are having. I also hit a dip in a road on a residential street 1 night when I was lost really hard & it ran only on 4, then I realized the coil wire boot was attached, but the wire underneath bumped up & off. I pushed it back on & the smoking stopped & it ran like a champ again. I hope something helps you soon!

Last year I replaced the stock coil with a Mallory coil. It wasnt until after I installed it I saw there was some kind of control box to buy with it. So now Im wondering if its really being a "super" coil at all, since I didnt buy that box. I used to buy accell super coils where you just plug in and go. Do you think this Mallory coil could be the prob?? You seem to know quite about about them

Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 PM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm pulling this out of my rear but based on the fact it's bad early in the morning and better later my truck did that believe it or not it was the for and moisture in the air early in the morning jacking up the coil it's kind of rare but it does happen my truck ran terrible if it was foggy or raining and most early mornings one thing to check out if you haven't solved it yet

Quick Reply: Runs good sometimes, sometimes not