2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1500 to 2500 Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Josheis
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 to 2500 Brake Conversion

Alright so as usual something easy became not so easy. Calipers fit perfect and they work great stops very quick now. However my drivers side caliper is held on by one thread on the bottom bolt due to the hole in the steering knuckle being almost completely stripped. So I come to all of you for opinions should I do a helicoil as a lot of people have suggested that to me or just replace the whole knuckle? Hope I'm calling that the right thing. Any other suggestions I would appreciate you guys help me out a lot. Thanks ahead of time, Joe.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd Heli-Coil it, but in a pinch I might try some Permatex Thread Repair. I'd be nervous about the latter option, though, in that specific service. Perhaps needlessly, but brakes are something I take as seriously as if my life and the lives of others depended upon them.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:45 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

helicoil should be fine.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

Helicoil and quit using an impact to take them off and put them on..

Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Josheis
Professional

To Plainbroke, Thats one thing I never do about the only thing I use my impact for is my wheels however I can almost guarantee that the shop that did my hub on that side used a impact to do it. But it's been so long since that, there's no way they would take responsibility for what they did. I always hand thread every bolt in first then tighten with a wrench.
Also I will go for the helicoil thanks for the input all.

Quick Reply: 1500 to 2500 Brake Conversion