2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a/c compressor clutch help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:05 PM
caripple
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/c clutch

I just had the A/C clutch on my 99 1500 fail. The bearing for the pulley failed. I was 200 miles from home. I tried using the w/o a/c belt but it was too short had to use a 90 inch belt DAYCO p/n 5070900 to get home. The standard w/o A/C belt is 88 inches long. To check if the clutch is bad or the compressor do the following. With the belt off, key off and A/c off try to turn the clutch pulley. If it turns the clutch is not seized. If it turns but makes noise and wobbles (like mine) the clutch bearing is bad. If it turns quietly it is ok. To check if the compressor is seized try to turn the clutch plate (metal peice in front of the pulley) if you can turn it (with some effort) the compressor is not seized. When the A/C is on the electromagnet pulls the clutch plate against the pulley locking them together making the pulley turn the compressor. I ordered the $100 clutch to fix mine. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. These checks only determine if the clutch or compressor is seized and do not prove that they do not have other problems.

Quick Reply: a/c compressor clutch help?