2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram rust advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:34 PM
SarranWrap
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Ram rust advice needed

Hi, this is my first post, Today I bought a 2001 Dodge Ram Sport Off Road, and it has its fair share of rust unfortunatly, but it is almost all located on the bottom of the truck where i am going to rhino line it. My question is the rust has made a hole in the passenger front fender, passenger door (bottom), and the bottom of the tailgate is pretty bad and was wondering if i should, A grind the spots down, apply por15 ,bondo up the holes, and cover with rhino lining or B take the hit and by new fender tailgate and door. Main concern is quality of plan A and price of B thanks for your help. P.S. tried to upload pictures and it wouldn't let me if anyone can offer some tips on that to ill post some pics.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

For the pics I used Tinypic.com and just uploaded from there. As for everything else I'm not sure on what you should do till some pics are up.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:38 PM
SarranWrap

Attachment 17164

Last edited by SarranWrap; 09-08-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

From what I see, I would probably just bondo but then again if you can find body parts for cheap then I would go that route and get rid of the existing rust. I had two 'bad' spots of rust on my truck and just grounded them down to the bare metal and then bedlined over them and both rocker panels.

Last edited by Blue Mopar01; 09-08-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Check junk yards, and see if there are panels in better condition available for the ones that just bolt on.....

Old 09-08-2012, 10:05 PM
SarranWrap

sorry best this noob can figure out with the pictures

[attach]2001 Dodge Ram rust advice needed-dodge-ram-2.jpg[/attach]

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Dodge Ram rust advice needed-dodge-ram-4.jpg  
Old 09-08-2012, 10:08 PM
SarranWrap

thanks for the fast replies guys n sorry it took so long for the pics hope they help some

Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would replace the rusted out parts with weld in panels. Filling rust holes will only allow rust to continue and the material will fall out again. I spent the last couple of days stripping a car down for restoration, and I hate rust. But this is the only way to fix it correctly where it will last. (ordering floor pans tonight...)

Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Yup like gdstock said gotta replace,I'm not a mechanic but I grew up in my grandpas bodyshop.So that's how I make my $ half the time.First look on craigslist for whatever panels ya can.Idk of You can weld or not but What I would do is cut out the cancer butt weld in new sheet metal,tack weld it in place&jump from ons end to the other&give the metal time to cool between the welds or You will warp it.Tack it all up down try to run a bead or you'll probably burn holes in the metal.Then grind everyrhing down nice&smooth of You get it right You won't even need any filler.If You do use filler spread it out smooth about 6 inches past the weld then feather it out real nice.
You can buy a cheap hf wire flux welder for 100 bucks all the metal You need for under 50 bucks practice for a few days&get the welder dialed in&BOOM!Youve learned a good bit for cheap.The hf welders aren't the best&people say there junk usually Because they just Dont know how to weld...the welder isn't to blame its the operator.A gas miller mug welder&you'll love it.Any ways hopes that helps Sorry so long

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram rust advice needed