2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

drivetrain noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 PM
sparechange
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drivetrain noise

I had my truck regeared to 4.56 3000 miles ago and everythings been good untill recently. I've been getting weird noises from the rearend.

At just under 20 mph when I'm decelerating or light acceleration at any speed it makes a sound like one of those old crank style sirens getting spun slow (seen somebody describe like you said wow a bunch of times). Most people I've read about with the same symptoms turned out to be the rear bearings.

I'm not sure thats the case with mine. After some reading I put'er in neutral while it was making the noise and turned the key off and the noise completely stops. I can coast to a complete stop and hear nothing.

I'm not sure if the noise is related to having the gears done or if its cause I have 210000 miles on the truck and things wear out.

any ideas?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Take it back to where you had the gears done, and let them have a listen to it. Sounds like something moved, that shouldn't have.... and clearances aren't quite right any more.

Check fluid level right away though....

Old 09-05-2012, 09:45 PM
sparechange

Should have mentioned that I changed the gear lube the other day to a thicker 75-140 and it didn't change anything. Also, It seems to be louder once everything gets warmed up.

I did talk to the guy who did the gear change this morning and will be swinging it by there tomorrow so he can check it out.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:29 PM
sparechange

turns out it is the gears and the mechanic is gonna replace them next week

Quick Reply: drivetrain noise