2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Drive Shaft Maxed Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Easy_E33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Drive Shaft Maxed Out

I wanted to add four more inches onto my 2000 dodge ram 1500 but once i raised it to see if it would max anything out everything cleared and was fine except for the front drive shaft for the 4x4. Is there any way i would be capable of getting around it being bound up. i was told to shave the u joints so they didnt rub and lock which almost sounded insane but suppossedly has been done. also it was suggested to use pinion wedges and rotate the front axle so the angle would be lessened but again sounded quiet difficult. Is there any other options or are one of those the best choice? Thank you for any help and advice provided.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:26 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

would an indexing ring fit on our trucks?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ring-help.html

google this:
site:dodgeforum.com ram index ring

Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Easy_E33

Im not sure, i've searched for transfer case lowering kits in order to level out the angle a bit but ive been unable to find one designed for the specific model. would an indexing ring have the same effect? im not very familiar with indexing rings

Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

How much total lift do you have after adding the four inches? Just that 4" lift or another lift plus 4"?

Certain trucks lifted 7+ inches can get by on just shaving down the driveshaft where it binds, some can't. If you can't, installing an indexing ring from Great Lake Offroad, DIY4X, or Skyjacker will do the trick. I'd recommend Great Lake's ring, just make you sure you order the "passenger side drop" and NOT drivers side drop. Reason being is that the indexing rings are designed to raise the tcase for more ground clearance (needed for low-to-the-ground jeeps and the like), so by ordering the passenger drop instead, you drop the tcase for more driveshaft clearance.

This is the one you want (this will fit your NP231 tcase):
http://www.greatlakeoffroad.com/GLO-...NP208-241.html

Do you got a manual or auto tranny? If it's an auto you also need to install the Skyjacker seal adapter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SJA-DTSA269/

You will also have to modify your cross-member to fit the new driveshaft angle. There's pics on what it should look like on pavementsucks website.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 09-12-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Easy_E33

It appears as if ill be going the route of the ring and seal to move the t-case. My only delema is how to drop the crossmember down? The newer rams have a drop kit you can buy, is there one i can get for our second gen rams?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

I don't know the procedure of removing the cross-member, I figured it was just bolted to the truck? Anyways this is what you should end up with: http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/t...er-pics?page=3
And page 4 has a pic of it installed.

Not sure if you can buy one... Seems pretty unlikely that a manufacturer would make them. search it up
edit: This site sells em and they're sold with an indexing ring... very expensive compared to buying a GLO ring, skyjacker spacer, and fabbing your own cross-member.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 09-13-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Easy_E33

The crosssmember is bolted onto the truck but if you just lower the bolts it brings about the problem of the t-case is mounted onto the crossmember and it shifts the whole engine angle. i found quiet a few kits for the 02and up but not 96-01. i may just have to cut the cross member. do you think it would cause any weakness when it comes to support?

Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not if you box it back in.
if you need help making a cross member, contact danny gaston at offroad. he has a 2nd gen and makes all kinds of lift related parts.

http://www.dodgeoffroad.com/

Quick Reply: Front Drive Shaft Maxed Out