2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gouged by Dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM
keepitrunning
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gouged by Dealer!

Had to make an unexpected trip and my 1998 Dodge Ram broke down in 3 lanes of rush hour traffic 300 km from home. Knew it was fuel pump immediatly.

Had it towed to nearest dealer because I felt they would treat me fairly and do the job right. Left truck overnight and continued on my way to make required appointments.

Next day they call and offer a replacement OEM pump for $696 or jobber for $473 plus 4 hrs labour at $128 hour, plus shop supplies and HST. I agreed to jobber pump as I didnt have alot of choices as I was far from home and on a tight schedule.

Asked them to save old pump and swish tank. Reply was " you don't want to add the extra labour do you?" I replied at these rates you could at least ensure the tank is clean.

Picked up truck and bill was just short of $1200 to change a fuel pump which I had already accurately diagnosed. Manager agreed to drop $200.

The customer service was atrocious. Came in on a hook in the heat of the afternoon and they paid next to no attention to me. Did not offer a coffee , a water or if I needed a phone.

Paid just under $ 1000 to change my fuel pump and they could not even produce the old one as I had specified they do.

Whats your opinion?

Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fire.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:31 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

thats what happens when you pay someone else to do the work. you get screwed. i know my mom paid a garage $200 to replace the 2 brake lines in her honda. they left the old lines were they were because they new they would damage a fuel line if they tried to remove them. the new lines just hang there. if i knew half a$$ was allowed i would have done it in the driveway.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
keepitrunning
Rookie

I'm seeing the same pump on the internet for $176. This was in Langley British Columbia where they have huge access to parts.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:35 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

In the short time i have been working in a dealer service shop i have learned that they can be ridiculosly high. Hell i did a $450 alternator today. But at least at my dealer we offer price matching, most people are to lazy to do the research to take advantage of it though. I will check alldata tomorrow and see how many hrs they should have charged you for, if it should have been less then i would argue for the difference back.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 PM
keepitrunning
Rookie

Thank you QCL.

I do understand that they work on a flat rate system however this service rep felt he had me by the short hairs... from out of town, couldn't hang around while they did the repair. It's not so much the 3 hrs labour I paid in the end but the way they ripped me off on the parts. Easily double what its worth.

I will be on them about the cost of parts once I get some quotes in writing. The manager was extemely nervous about me "tweeting " about my experience at his dealership.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I suggest tweeting anyways...just the doubt of pricing to get started. "Hey ppl what is the going price for a fuel pump for my money pit?" "btw -- how should dealerships be treating drive by customers?"

Good luck bro. Maybe you'll be able to carry tools and such. Oh...and I'd be lighting into them for NOT providing your broken part, especially since you directed them in the first place. It's a manner of transparency!!!

Old 09-21-2012, 01:20 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about the crappy service you got there. I can understand how you feel. At those rates, you'd at least expect a wink and a smile. I don't know how they do things up north, but over here in California, service shops are required to give the customer back any parts changed by the shop upon customers request. I certainly hope that stealership gets what's coming to them.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sucks dude. I abhor the idea of paying someone such an astronomical price to do something I would like to do myself. Good luck in your negotiations.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seems on par for this Province, parts and labour are about right. I do have a issue with them not giving you back your old part, does the work order specify that the old part was to be returned?

Quick Reply: Gouged by Dealer!