2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 AM
gweisberg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pulley

Long story short;
Blew out my radiator, replaced it to find that my water pump was leaking. So I replaced that, and got a nice new serpentine belt in there. Everything is back in order and drives wonderfully. When I was inspecting the other pulleys, I noticed that my power steering pulley does wobble a little. I am guessing that this means it is bad, right? I was wondering if I could get away with just removing the pulley and replacing just that? Or am I going to have to replace the pump as well? If that pulley wobbles, as it does currently, does that mean that the shaft it sits on is bent?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That pulley is press on so it can't go on lopsided. Either the pulley itself is bent or the shaft is bent, but both would surprise me. I'd make sure the bracket is not moving, the pump is not moving on the bracket, and the pulley is clean so you're not seeing the color change and seem like it is wobbling.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:05 PM
gweisberg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had the belt off the other day, I put my hand over the pulley and pressed on it lightly and I could feel it move.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by gweisberg
When I had the belt off the other day, I put my hand over the pulley and pressed on it lightly and I could feel it move.
And you haven't seen any leakage?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:33 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

I just can't see the pulley being bent and if there's play it sounds like it's time to rebuild or replace the pump..

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pulley