2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upgrading Stock Speakers

Old 09-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I had a passenger door speaker start to go (crackling, intermittently working)... I wanted Aux-In on the head unit, so decided to tackle both ends at the same time.

I bought a low to medium end Sony CD/Radio with Aux-In, and some 3way 9"x6" speakers.

The head unit was a neat fit with a 1.5 DIN adapter and a Chrysler harness adapter.
Use caution removing the bezel, as the plastic can be brittle on older trucks.

The speakers where a direct fit, but I cut the connector off the old speaker amps and wired them to the new speakers... this kept the tweeters in play, and they're louder than they where as standard.

All up I spent a little over $200, and have great sound.

Here's the wiring in the doors on my 1998 RAM 1500.

The 6 pin speaker connector in the doors are wired as follows:
Viewing the vehicle harness connector, with the orientation lobes facing up... Left to right, Pin 1-6.

LH Door
  1. Dark Green (FL +)
  2. Violet w/Black
  3. Yellow w/Red (LH Tweeter +)
  4. Brown w/Red (FL -)
  5. Black w/Red
  6. Yellow w/Black (LH Tweeter -)

RH Door
  1. Violet (FR +)
  2. Violet w/Black
  3. Light Blue w/Red (RH Tweeter +)
  4. Blue w/Red (FR -)
  5. Black w/Red
  6. Light Blue w/Black (RH Tweeter -)

Speaker Amplifier Harness
(Both sides the same - mating pins to the above)
  1. Blue
  2. Green
  3. Yellow
  4. Brown
  5. Violet
  6. Orange

I cut the harness from the amplifiers, and joined up the wires as follows;
  • Pin 1 (Blue), Pin 3 (Yellow), New Speaker Lead +
  • Pin 4 (Brown), Pin 6 (Orange), New Speaker Lead -
Pins 2 & 5 where individually terminated... these would logically be the power supply for the old speaker amplifiers.

Last edited by Spillage; 12-26-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by wjxavier
... i have a '95 with infinity speakers, and i didnt see any way to take the amp off...
They have two torx screws through the amp into a thick plate on the speaker... some may have a plastic cover stuck over the entire amp... this may have to be brutally removed.
The mounting plate on the speaker acts as the heat sink for the amp... this is where you will have issues trying to reuse the amp... maybe you could mount it to the inside of the door (using the door as the heat sink)... but in all honesty, I feel a new head unit is a better way, since the CD players act up eventually any way... just bite the bullet and do it all.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Brian_
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you had just ended up cutting out the amp entirely and splicing your tweeters into the harness at the door basically? what speakers would you recommend and what kind of headunit, i know in my dakota i had a sony explod one.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

I don't know that I have a "recommendation", as this is the first head unit and speakers that I've purchased in about 30yrs.
I bought online, choosing brand names with decent reviews that had the features I wanted at a price I could afford... as I said, I spent just over $200 for everything... it's not an audiophile setup, but it is better than stock.

Last edited by Spillage; 09-30-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Brian_
Captain

as for the amps though, did you totally bypass those and use the power off of the head unit?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Yup... the old speakers came out, amps and all... just cut the plugs off the amps with as much wire as I could get... put the plug onto the new speakers (wired per above) and put those into the door.
The new head unit has enough umph to power all the speakers.

Sony CDX-GT350MP CD/MP3/WMA In Dash Receiver With iPod Controls and Wireless Remote (52W x4)

Metra 70-1817 Radio Wiring Harness For Chrysler 1985-2005 Harness

Metra 99-6000 Single DIN Installation Kit for 1974-2004 Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Plymouth Vehicles -Black

Pioneer TS-A6964R A-Series 6"x9" 3-Way 400 Watts

Old 07-29-2016, 03:42 AM
Crucifix83

Hey spillage can u tell me what color wires u spliced the tweeters into cuz my tweeters are hooked into the factory tweeter harness and no sound so I'm confused on what to do and all stereo shops here we're I live keep trying tell me I need 400 dollar part to make em work and I know there a way to do it without spending 400 just my first time messing with tweeters

Old 07-29-2016, 04:09 PM
CTX
Rookie

Call up Crutchfield and tell them what you want to do...those guys have an answer or harness for anything. It's really not that complicated.

I do have the stock infinity system and just like Spillage I simply bought the single DIN kit, Kenwood head unit and new front & rear speakers from Crutchfield and they set me up with all the correct harnesses + detailed instruction manuals specifically for my truck. My stock infinity tweeters still work too (part of the harness kit).

*** Make sure to buy yourself a 10-pack or more of the white door panel retainer clips and some plastic epoxy before tackling this project. You will need them ***

-Chris

Old 07-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Crucifix83
Hey spillage can u tell me what color wires u spliced the tweeters into cuz my tweeters are hooked into the factory tweeter harness and no sound so I'm confused on what to do and all stereo shops here we're I live keep trying tell me I need 400 dollar part to make em work and I know there a way to do it without spending 400 just my first time messing with tweeters
It's all here;
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-...peakers-2.html

Which is post #11 above.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

I finally got around to taking this pic.
The slot in the 1½ - 1 DIN mount adapter (intended to hold a CD case?) is perfect for holding my iPhone.
I guess the top of the pocket must bow down a little... it provides a little resistance to hold the phone as it is slid in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upgrading Stock Speakers