2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

aftermarket suspension lifts

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A full kit includes all steering components needed. I believe you can get a rough country lift for between 800-1000 for a complete lift.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Sorry to hijack this thread but does anyone have a pic of a dodge with a 4.5" lift on it? I'm looking at down the road, getting a tuff country 4.5" lift for my dodge and was curious on how it would look.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM
silverram2000

i installed the rough country 5 inch lift. the rear has blocks. i changed them out asap. put the bds 4.5 lift leaf springs in the rear. but the steering i changed out to the 98.5-99 1 ton t setup. havnt had to change anything else, yet. so i have about 1300 into the lift kit, the steering and the new lift spring. i am happy rolling around on the 36's. still get about 10-12 mpgs.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:33 PM
americankaveman

Originally Posted by silverram2000
i installed the rough country 5 inch lift. the rear has blocks. i changed them out asap. put the bds 4.5 lift leaf springs in the rear. but the steering i changed out to the 98.5-99 1 ton t setup. havnt had to change anything else, yet. so i have about 1300 into the lift kit, the steering and the new lift spring. i am happy rolling around on the 36's. still get about 10-12 mpgs.
I'm really not engine savvy, all I know is that dodge ram is king and I wanna put it in the air without destroying the truck so y/how do u change the steering? Is there an advantage of leaf springs in the back over shocks? Beside price I mean.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Lifting more than 3" or so (suspension lift that is) will cause steering & suspension geometry to go more and more out of line the more you lift the truck.

Piece together all the right parts or buy a kit and you won't destroy much of anything (maybe unit hubs with giant tires..)

Changing the y steering setup to to a t setup is just an upgrade to a better design, not required.

Leaf springs over shocks? That makes no sense considering you've got and need both. Lifting the rear with leaf packs or add a leafs over blocks increases the safety of the truck. Big blocks like 5" ones can cause axle wrap amongst other things..not a common occurrence but can happen.

You can lift the front with coils and spacers and the rear with leaf packs, aal's, blocks, or shackle flip. Proper steering components (pitman arm, track bar, control arms, etc) all need to be upgraded to accomidate lift size.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 10-03-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 AM
americankaveman

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
Lifting more than 3" or so (suspension lift that is) will cause steering & suspension geometry to go more and more out of line the more you lift the truck.

Piece together all the right parts or buy a kit and you won't destroy much of anything (maybe unit hubs with giant tires..)
Changing the y steering setup to to a t setup is just an upgrade to a better design, not required.

Leaf springs over shocks? That makes no sense considering you've got and need both. Lifting the rear with leaf packs or add a leafs over blocks increases the safety of the truck. Big blocks like 5" ones can cause axle wrap amongst other things..not a common occurrence but can happen.

You can lift the front with coils and spacers and the rear with leaf packs, aal's, blocks, or shackle flip. Proper steering components (pitman arm, track bar, control arms, etc) all need to be upgraded to accomidate lift size.
If lifting more than three inches will cause steering and suspension to go out of line, than what can be done to fix correct the issue? (If anything at al)

Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 PM
silverram2000

Originally Posted by americankaveman
I'm really not engine savvy, all I know is that dodge ram is king and I wanna put it in the air without destroying the truck so y/how do u change the steering? Is there an advantage of leaf springs in the back over shocks? Beside price I mean.
the t-steering was easy to swap out. its from a 98.5-99. just get an alingment after you do the swap. and with the rc lift kit, they have you stack a 4" block on the factory 2" block. i didnt like it at all. saved up some money and bought the leaf springs.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Send me a pm on how much you would like/expect to spend doing this.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:38 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by americankaveman
If lifting more than three inches will cause steering and suspension to go out of line, than what can be done to fix correct the issue? (If anything at al)
Its corrected by buying parts that accommodate your size lift... 5" lift requires parts like a drop pitman arm or a track bar bracket, etc.
Seven inch lift requires parts that go with 7" lift, etc, etc
Kits will come with all necessary parts, or you can piece all together if u know what you need.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A good kit will include EVERYTHING needed to do the job right, piecing a kit together is just stupid unless you have nuts, bolts, washers, vac-line, welder, cutting torches, and lot's of exp doing this type of job. The big parts are ez to deal with it's all the little pieces that you wont have that will drive you nutz doing the job.

I will not push Skyjacker but this will give you an idea what a full kit includes.

http://skyjacker.com/product.php?ProdID=25272

Quick Reply: aftermarket suspension lifts