2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front drivers axle leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 PM
DamageUSMC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front drivers axle leak

I just got my first truck yesterday. I'm kind of an average person when it comes to working on vehicles (replace alternators, water pumps, install stereos), but I've never worked on a truck before so it's all new to me.

I traded my motorcycle for a 94 ram 5.9L. It has a ton of new parts under the hood including the transmission and engine within the last 30k. My only concern is where the axle ends on the left front, there is about a 4 inch recession that has what looks like an ongoing leak. Is this differential fluid? How do I fix the leak? I imagine there's a worn seal?

Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I'm planning on fixing it myself as long as no special tools are needed. How much of a project is this and whats the average cost.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The seal is like 5 bucks, but you have to remove pretty much all the internal parts from the diff. Do yourself a favor and get a Haynes manual and got to the FAQ/DIY section and download the service manual . Read the process in both and see if you want to tackle the project. It's not that bad and you may need to buy some tools, but will still be cheaper than having a shop do it.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM
DamageUSMC

Here are some pictures.

zman, thanks, I have all the standard tools. Sockets in any size, torque wrench, I have air tools but no compressor . Are there tools outside of this type of stuff that I might need? Do you know what this seal is called? I don't want to go to Autozone and make myself look dumb for the 200th time.

Also, am I ok to drive it in the mean time? just stay out of 4 wheel?

Attached Thumbnails Front drivers axle leak-photo-1-.jpg   Front drivers axle leak-photo-2-.jpg  

Last edited by DamageUSMC; 10-04-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: more questions
Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DamageUSMC
Here are some pictures.

zman, thanks, I have all the standard tools. Sockets in any size, torque wrench, I have air tools but no compressor . Are there tools outside of this type of stuff that I might need? Do you know what this seal is called? I don't want to go to Autozone and make myself look dumb for the 200th time.
ahhhh thats NOTHIN! lol you should look at MY axle seals haha!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 PM
DamageUSMC

I'll take that as an "it's ok to drive".

Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DamageUSMC
I'll take that as an "it's ok to drive".
well, dont take it the wrong way lol it still needs to be fixed!!! just make sure you have fluid in the diff while you prepare yourself to fix it. lol one thing i learned being a helicopter mechanic, in some situations, if it aint leaking, means theres no fluid left lol

Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You'll need a 14mm 12 point impact socket for the hub bolts. And the hub nut needs to be torqued to like 180 ft pounds.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can find pretty much everything you need here. Will probably need a 3/4" impact wrench to get the axle nuts off. Some have done it with a lot of leverage though.

Take a look here. It will give you a real good idea of what you're getting into.

Last edited by Arde; 10-04-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:49 PM
DamageUSMC

Thanks everyone. I think I have what I need to get this going. I'm a little wary about taking the diff apart. I'm pretty bad about forgetting a step which could cost me a LOT of money with this fix. Oh well, gotta do it. Sure as hell not going to bring it to a shop either.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Driver side seal sucks. Be very careful when you pull the passenger side axles(intermediate and outer) out that you dont damage that seal. Maybe you should replace that side seal too, of course that one requires a special tool to install. And have the axle shaft ujoints replaced while they are out.

Quick Reply: Front drivers axle leak