2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tires/Gears/Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Mopar528
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires/Gears/Fuel

I’m running an 01 Ram 1500 with a 5 inch lift and 35s. I still have factory gearing at 3.55. If I were to swap in 4.10 gears (It would give me close to the same overall gearing as factory tires and 3.55s) would it help me get my fuel consumption back? I can’t avg. better than 11.4, and this is my DD. I’m broke. If changing the gears will get me up into the 15-17 mpg range then I am going to be buying gears, if not its probably getting traded on a Diesel. Let me know what kind of results you guys have got.
Thanks
Phil

Old 09-01-2005, 03:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Tires/Gears/Fuel

Gears definelty couldn't hurt. It will put you back in the optimal power band, and you engine and trans won't have to work as hard. When I went to 33" tires, everyone said I was commiting mileage suicide. But, I changed gears to 4.11 at the same time I did the tires, and my mileage stayed the same (actually got a tiny bit better). So gears are definetly a benefit if you are running larger tires. That said, I don't think you will see 4-7 mpg increase that you are wanting with just gears alone. I gained 4 mpg when I put on a Fastman TB and Flowmaster exhaust (at that time everything else was stock). I seem to have lost 2 mpg since I installed the Hypertech programmer and headers though. Not sure which is responsible for the loss, or if it is a combo. I am planning to program back to stock for awhile and see if anything changes so I can determine which is causing the loss.

With 35's, the math indicates that 4.11 would be the best gear, but most guys running 35's opt for 4.27 or 4.56 gears instead. The math formulas don't take into consideration the addition weight and rotation drag of the larger tires, and additional wind resistance created with being lifted 5".

Consider this too, the price of gears with installation included can be kinda steep. Say you only gain 1-2 mpg increase from gears. How long will you have to drive to make back what you spent on the gears? Just something to consider.
Also, how much will you have to spend to trade up to a diesel? I considered this option too, but I could probably drive my truck for years before I would spend as much money on gas as I would have had to spend to buy a decent 2500.

Good luck.

Old 09-02-2005, 03:54 PM
richardmoore
Professional

I've got 35's on my truck and I was told that I should go with 4:45's. I'm also thinking about going to 38's when the tires I've got wear out.

Old 09-03-2005, 03:27 AM
dinikin

Did you have to go to a dealer to reprogram the controller for new tire size?

Old 09-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Mopar528

I am going to use the truck to tow quite a bit, so I think I am going to go with 4.56s. And if it is to low I guess ill just have to get bigger tires. And yes, I had one of my friends that works at a Dodge dealership reprogram it to keep the speed right.
Phil