2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

winter tires!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default winter tires!

wheres the cheapest place around nowadays to get tires? thought my tires would make it another winter, but they wont, and i dont have a soldering iron kit to clean them out with, so i gotta get some new shoes

Old 10-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I order a lot of tires from Discounttiredirect.com . Sometimes they sell their stock items on Ebay and offer free shipping. If I'm ordering both wheels and tires they will mount and balance before shipping which is great because it eliminates the need for me to have a local shop perform those duties.

For instance, I ordered a set of four tires for my Wife's Saab. Paid about $450 for the set, shipped, to the shop that did the installation. The shop mounted, balanced, and aligned everything once they arrived.

Obviously truck tires are more expensive, but when compared to local stores the online prices were much lower even factoring in possible shipping costs. Remember, shipping to businesses is usually a lot cheaper too, so have a shop in mind if you order tires and have them shipped directly to the shop to save a bit more off of the shipping.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by wjxavier
wheres the cheapest place around nowadays to get tires? thought my tires would make it another winter, but they wont, and i dont have a soldering iron kit to clean them out with, so i gotta get some new shoes
Huh? Explain that one...

Old 10-09-2012, 10:28 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Huh? Explain that one...
I assume hes talking about grooving the tire inbetween the tread to "retread" it. If so, I cant see that being safe.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooper
I order a lot of tires from Discounttiredirect.com . Sometimes they sell their stock items on Ebay and offer free shipping. If I'm ordering both wheels and tires they will mount and balance before shipping which is great because it eliminates the need for me to have a local shop perform those duties.

Obviously truck tires are more expensive, but when compared to local stores the online prices were much lower even factoring in possible shipping
I envy you guys -_- I can't remember if they will not ship to Canada or maybe their shipping prices were through the roof to Canada. Can't say I blame them. They have extremely good prices though. Canadians have to shop locally and it sucks!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:33 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
I assume hes talking about grooving the tire inbetween the tread to "retread" it. If so, I cant see that being safe.

Yeah and after melting out new tread he could drive in a few nails and screws for some extra traction in the slippery stuff.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wjxavier
After searching around and comparing prices, I bought a set from tirebuyer.com. They had the best prices I was able to find, and free shipping.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
I envy you guys -_- I can't remember if they will not ship to Canada or maybe their shipping prices were through the roof to Canada. Can't say I blame them. They have extremely good prices though. Canadians have to shop locally and it sucks!
it looks like discounttiredirect will ship to Canada for free. it seems the border taxes is what seems to bring the prices up.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
That depends. Some tires have enough rubber to groove them. Some big rig tires even have regroovable text on a sidewall.
But, for winter tires, I wouldn't bother to regroove. Maybe for mud, but if tread is so worn that it needs regrooving, it means that rubber is also much harder than it was originally so it has zero traction on ice.
I once bought a set of new Wrangler MT/R's. Even though it's not a winter tire, I was amazed how well they performed the first winter under a Blazer, even in 2wd. Second winter they were ok, but needed to use 4wd more and had to make sure I didn't stop on uphill traffic lights. Third winter and first icy road... well, they were downright scary and unsafe!! They had good amount of tread left, but rubber had gotten so hard on two years (around a year tires) that even if I had siped them it wouldn't help at all.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 AM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If i could take a picture of my tires, you guys would understand a little better as to why i want to clean them out. when my tires were new, the tread was fine and they cleaned out perfect, but now that they're getting older and wearing down more, there's a ring of rubber on the outside portion of the tread that prevents the tire from cleaning out. there's still PLENTY of tread left, idk why they put that ring where its at and so high, but yea, if i could clean that out, my tires would be good for another winter or possibly two.

Quick Reply: winter tires!