2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 ram 1500 Window Tint

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Bulletproofskin9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 ram 1500 Window Tint

Since i bought my 1995 Dodge Ram 1500, the previous owner, for whatever reason, put light purplish tint on the drivers/passengers/and rear windows of the vehicle. I don't know if he thought it would compliment the orange paint job or what, but i do not like it. Especially because it becomes extremely hard to see at night when im plowing in the winter.

I checked out some stuff online on how to remove tint, but i'd like your guys opinion.

I don't own a heat gun, i don't have any specialty tools, im just wondering what's the easiest way to remove that tint with just stuff i have around? hair dryer and chisel? What gets the cleanest?

You can kinda see it in this picture here, but if you get really close, it's starting to peel and it makes me wanna take it off more.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The tint is purpleish because its cheap and old. UV has faded it. I've removed tint by just getting a corner started with a razor blade and pulling it off. Use the razor blade and some adhesive remover (Goo Gone or the like) to scrape off the adhesive left behind. It may be easier to heat it a little. Since you dont have a heat gun (which may be too hot anyway) use a hair drier. Just dont hit a cold window with heat, it could break. If it is cold, SLOWLY warm it up.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by kejobe
The tint is purpleish because its cheap and old. UV has faded it.
So that is why my tint is dark purple.. Lol. I thought the previous owner liked that colour or something :P

Old 10-09-2012, 11:52 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Yup. The cheap crap from Walmart or Autozone and the like will fade over time.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by kejobe
Yup. The cheap crap from Walmart or Autozone and the like will fade over time.
What kind of tint would you recommend for when I go to change it?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:15 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Personally Id take it to a shop and have it done. The tint is thicker and a better quality. The other stuff sound like a cirarette wrapper.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the advice!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 AM
dondons1984

u can heat it up and take a razor and take it off. it won't scratch the window as long as u don't try to scratch it. I had the same issue and also used paint thinner for harder issue areas. most of it should peel off.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Bulletproofskin9

Alright, thanks guys. Next semi warm day, i'm gonna take a crack at it. What if it leaves thin strands of tint or looks messy? Im not one to do a bad job but what could i use to get those tiny imperfections off? Paint thinner?

EDIT:
Also, very interesting about the tint turning purple because it's faded and worn. Didnt even come across my mind. The guy who owned this truck before me also owned a viper, so who would've thought he went cheap on tint...lol

Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 AM
jpsycoboy5
Professional

It may be old tint but more than likely someone sprayed windex or the like on them to clean the windows and the amonioa reacts with the tint. For removal best easiest way and cleanest is use a steamers just steam a corner and peel and keep steaming right in front on the tint of where your pulling if done right tint will come right off with the glue

Quick Reply: 95 ram 1500 Window Tint