2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front wheel beerings

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry guys, didnt realize that my signiture didnt state 4x4. i will add that real quick. yes i have a 4x4.

thank you for that link to the ball joints it was hlpful.
so does anybody have a 98 sport that knows if its the whole hub that needs to be replaced or just the bearin gs can be done???

Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xtreme 4x4 did a show about a year or 2 ago on the 4x4 gen 2 rams, they showed that there is a conversion kit to go away from the weaker hub units to a serviceable inner/outer bearing setup. I have no idea of the name or cost, but it is interesting.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup, I forget what year but dodge did change the 2wd bearings to a unit similar to the 4x4's. I think you are right(2000). And there is also a thread here somewhere from a guy who changed bearings only in the hub unit. And I'll be damned if I can find it now. Of course I don't think he ever replied about how it worked out long term.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:32 PM
peshewa
Veteran

I have replaced the bearing only on a hub unit camry I used to own. The wheel fell off 4 months later. The surface the bearing grabs gets scratched up when you pull the bearing off then there is never an ideal surface to press it onto again. I would advise against this.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlue83
so does anybody have a 98 sport that knows if its the whole hub that needs to be replaced or just the bearin gs can be done???
On All 4x4s the whole hub needs to be replaced.
Removal is the same as in the link I posted.
Dana 44 has 3 bolts holding it in.
Dana 60 has 4 bolts holding it in.

Dana changed things up on the 44 and 60 for the model years 99-01.
I figured the 2wd was changed the same time, I guess not

Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

well hello zman! glad you didnt hiit me with the check the haynes lol. ive been trying to find my copy for a couple days now... might have to pick another one up.

thankks for all the info guys, im gunna replace the whole hub. doing it next weekend, i will post pics as usual

Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well hello zman! glad you didnt hiit me with the check the haynes lol. ive been trying to find my copy for a couple days now... might have to pick another one up.

thankks for all the info guys, im gunna replace the whole hub. doing it next weekend, i will post pics as usual

You can also download the FSM in the FAQ/DIY section here...but you knew that, right? Good to see you back, man!

Last edited by gdstock; 10-24-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:58 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Grab one online! http://www.haynes.com/mole

Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

Originally Posted by gdstock
You can also download the FSM in the FAQ/DIY section here...but you knew thatm right? Good to see you back, man!
yes Gd i did know about the FSM in fact i already have it down loaded, but my laptop its on is still at the ex's house. im using a temporary computer for now. its good to be back!
after my truck transmision whent out completely a week later my dad died. then two days later my wife and i split, then it was more crap on top of crap. since my tranny was shot i put all the money i had into this **** car for a temp. way to work. after paying all the back taxes and insurence and registration on the way home from DMV the engine blew.
june was not a great month. i ended up getting a DUI. i went to a concert to try and blow of some stress and my daughters mother (my wife) showed up. i drank about three beers and left. i forgot to hit my lights on the dash board and got pulled over. everything with my dad and the truck and my wife was fresh i was living here and there and barely sleeping. i got arrested and booked. the legal limit in CT is 0.08 i blew 0.06 i only had three beers i was just exhausted. they asked if i wanted to take a urine that it wasnt mandatory so i said no. had 50 bucks in my wallet so i bonded myself out (bond was 500 bucks). the cop lied on the police report. when asked why my eyes were red i told him stressed and tired. he wrote i stated drank a 12 pack and had a couple marijuana cigarettes. court knows he was lying because how did i drink a twelve pack but only blow 0.06 they are going to throw the case out and off my record once i do the class. DMV on the other hand suspended my license for 6 months on the soul fact i refused a specimen the same specimen the cop said wasnt mandatory. so i applied for a work permit. DMV said i had to serve 90 days off the suspension first. so as of november 3rd i will have a work permit and this is why i cant drive havent been on the forum.
im doing way better now, still have my job and have a two bedroom apartment that i pay for myself, a room for me and a room for my little girl when she comes over...

Old 10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
BigBlue83
Veteran

GD your truck looks really good. great job with the paint and bondo

Quick Reply: Front wheel beerings