2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Shifting Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Hawkman13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Shifting Issue...

Hey guys new to the forum and to owning a truck. I just recently left the Honda scene and got a 2000 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.9 and love it for the most part. Only crappy part is after about a week of owning it the tranny went out. Dropped it and had it rebuilt. Then it went out a week later. Dropped it again only to to find the forward planetary got stripped out...replaced that. Tranny seems good, however, Im having a shifting issue. Sometimes it shifts to early, sometimes it shifts to late, sometimes its perfect, and sometimes it gets confused and doesnt know what gear to go into. Ive been troubleshooting for a day or two and have came up with nothing. I did have a bad governor pressure solenoid but I replaced it the second time I took the tranny apart. Only CEL I have is for the front o2 I ripped out dropping the tranny. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong. What typically happens is as follows

I start to drive the car after its been sitting and it shifts up and down almost instantly. Then after about a minute or two it will run completely fine just wont go into overdrive. Then it will continue to be ok and start going into overdrive. Then Ill come to a complete stop after about 10-15 minutes of driving and it will refuse to shift out of 1st. If I shift on the column it will go into every gear pretty much every time however. Then it will start to get jerky and coming to stops it wont go into first and Ill give it gas and then it will just jump into first and be fine again. Does anyone know what I can do or try to adjust to fix this. Im lost. Sorry about the long first post but kinda hit a brick wall. But besides this Im loving the truck.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who rebuilt the tranny? Did they warrant the planetary set? Only way that can poop is from installation during the rebuild.

Your current probelm may be an easy one. Almost TOO easy (hopefully). I suspect the TV cable is not adjusted correctly. Go to the FAQ/DIY section here on DF and download the service manual. Go to the tranny section for instructions. Be careful with the clip...it can b broken pretty easy. just have to disconnect from TB, release the clip on cable assembly, and move cable into line with connecting post and clip it back. Diections with pictures make more sense. That may take care of the shifting. If not, let us know so we can take another step. (Oh, and make sure it is connected at the transmission end of cable!)

Last edited by gdstock; 10-24-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 AM
shanes76
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could this also cause an immediate shift from 2nd to 3rd?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:11 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Thats my question, who rebuilt it? Any warranty?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is the factory TV cable adjustment.. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-in-trans.html

And here is a DIY if you want to F with it after it's set to factory.. http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...Adjustment.pdf

Quick Reply: Dodge Shifting Issue...