2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clunking noise after 4 low driving

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM
ZeroZero3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks I knew I wasnt crazy lol. Because I don't see how a u joint in the front end would make some noise after the front diff is disengaged. Axel ujoint be noisy all the time. I will check everyting tonight maybe.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When shifting from 4Hi or 4Lw to 2Hi the t-case shifts and the CAD disengages. Shifting the t-case stops power from turning the front driveshaft but it could turn from the wheels turning until the CAD disengages. When the CAD disengages the front driveshaft mostly stops moving, the driver side axle continues to move, and the passenger side outer axle moves. A slow to disengage CAD could let the teeth grind against each other with it partially slid over until it slides over fully. Switch the vacuum lines on the CAD and see what changes.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM
ZeroZero3
Professional

What do you mean by switch the vaccum line on the CAD? connect the right line on the left and the left line on the right?

Took it all apart, looked at everything and all seems to be working fine. Only thing I could see was burrs on the front of the middle shaft wich makes me believe that the clunking was really coming from there.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
ZeroZero3
Professional

Forgot to mentioned, is it normal for the intermediate shaft to move back and forth on it's axis? Maybe 1/8 of an inch.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct. Switch them and see if the engagement / disengagement issue changes. The problem may be opposite from what it was.

Looking at it will only reveal a few things but not the whole picture. It doesn't reveal vacuum issues.

I'm not following where the burrs are. If the shift fork pads are worn you could get a 'pddddddd' kind of sound but not so much a 'clunk'. To me a 'clunk' is a single sound and I had that when there was a delay in the shift.

The shaft movement is probably ok.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:35 AM
ZeroZero3
Professional

It only happens after driving for sometimes, if I go up and down my road and switch from 4L to 2H it will no do it.

It sound like a blown plenum but louder, so you are right, clunking is probably not the right wat to discribe it.

The burrs are on the end of the intermediat shaft splines right on the corner where the ring slides on.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise after 4 low driving