2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46 RE transmission operating temperature question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 09:34 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i hope you stay longer in Virginia than Stewie did. He moved in and moved out in about the same month.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:59 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i hope you stay longer in Virginia than Stewie did. He moved in and moved out in about the same month.
Hey!..............Shudup!

I feel like going back more and more each day...

Old 11-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Vegas360
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha well we will be there for at least a year. I sure will miss the out doors around here in Vegas but the city itself is a ghetto since the housing market crash. I have been surrounded by wanna be thugs since I got here. I have actually seen some real thugs come after my neighbors pushing their way into their house with a gun. I think they needed to change their pants after that. You wouldn't think my neighborhood was full of these types because it looks nice but Gov. gives out section 8 vouchers like halloween candy. They can get 1400 or more in free rent.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by Vegas360
Haha well we will be there for at least a year. I sure will miss the out doors around here in Vegas but the city itself is a ghetto since the housing market crash. I have been surrounded by wanna be thugs since I got here. I have actually seen some real thugs come after my neighbors pushing their way into their house with a gun. I think they needed to change their pants after that. You wouldn't think my neighborhood was full of these types because it looks nice but Gov. gives out section 8 vouchers like halloween candy. They can get 1400 or more in free rent.
Good luck on the climate change between Vegas and Virginia/Maryland. Hope you like COLD weather.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Vegas360
Rookie

Originally Posted by stewie01
Good luck on the climate change between Vegas and Virginia/Maryland. Hope you like COLD weather.
No big deal, I used to live and work on the Grand Canyon North Rim. I'm from the South East originally. Never though I would live near D.C. though. Can't say I'm excited. But hey more money. Out here I can drive 30 minutes and be in the middle of no where. I don't think there is much wheeling over there and stuff to explore. There are hundreds of ghost towns and old wagon trails out here to fool around on. Why did you move so fast?

Old 11-01-2012, 01:24 PM
stewie01
Legend

No big deal, I used to live and work on the Grand Canyon North Rim. I'm from the South East originally. Never though I would live near D.C. though. Can't say I'm excited. But hey more money. Out here I can drive 30 minutes and be in the middle of no where. I don't think there is much wheeling over there and stuff to explore. There are hundreds of ghost towns and old wagon trails out here to fool around on. Why did you move so fast?
A combination of things. We were there for 4 months.

Won't find anything like that in D.C.

If you like to take trips there are plenty of places to get lost and 4 wheeler trails in West Virginia.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
The fluid(atf+4) might be able to withstand 300 degrees, but I don't think the rest of the components in the tranny will.

I can attest to the fact that even if a tranny only gets up to 200 degrees (and no flow in OD unit sufficient enough to trash bearings) the OD frictions can incur significant damage. It was only at 200 briefly, but it appears that was enough. Friction material had consistency of charcoal....

I call it a learning experince (to keep from screaming...)

Old 05-26-2023, 06:41 PM
Darren Davis
Amateur

I think that's a pretty old chart because ATF-4 can withstand temps up to 300* and maintain it's integrity. I would still change it anyways though. Temps of 250* sustained with ATF-4 are fine. I'm talking about fluid temp coming from the torque converter not internal transmission temp. But I am still wondering if anyone here has run into trouble with the radiator bypassed and having a large trans cooler with it running too cool? I don't even know what the effects of too cool would be. Isn't ATF-4 rated for 20* or something? I know it has superior hot and cold viscosity but I am not sure what the cold rating for it is.

I know my transmission heats to operating temp before my motor temp would help to heat it since it goes right into O.D. so far. I guess I will just see what happens with the colder weather.

I found this on the Oil Guys site http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...1705531&page=2

Hey, I'm having an issue with my 98 ram 1500 5.9 mag RWD
My O/D light will not go off, my trans temp light is always on, and when stopped a a light or something my engine oil gauge drops down but it'll jump up when I accelerate... the issue with my o/d issue that my trans thinks it's hot, I believe and will not allow my o/d to turn on. I've gotten the trans rebuilt with a stage 1 pro shift and tow package by a shop.

Old 05-26-2023, 07:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren Davis
Hey, I'm having an issue with my 98 ram 1500 5.9 mag RWD
My O/D light will not go off, my trans temp light is always on, and when stopped a a light or something my engine oil gauge drops down but it'll jump up when I accelerate... the issue with my o/d issue that my trans thinks it's hot, I believe and will not allow my o/d to turn on. I've gotten the trans rebuilt with a stage 1 pro shift and tow package by a shop.
12 year old thread.......

Did your trans problem start shortly after the rebuild by any chance?

Oil pressure is a separate problem. Chances are good, it's just failing sending unit. They are fun to change though......

Old 05-26-2023, 09:31 PM
Darren Davis
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
12 year old thread.......

Did your trans problem start shortly after the rebuild by any chance?

Oil pressure is a separate problem. Chances are good, it's just failing sending unit. They are fun to change though......
Is this a 12 year old thread? Sorry, I can't figure out where to go for posting new posts....
But anyway, this no o/d and trans fluid temp light being always on, no. These were problems after the rebuild.

Quick Reply: 46 RE transmission operating temperature question