2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

cummins swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:14 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GTXpress
It would be a lot cheaper to lower the gears in the rear end...

But I guess I am just biased. As a diesel mechanic I will never own a diesel pick up. If you are just pulling the only real difference is fuel mileage. But at $4/gal for diesel and 3.21/gal for gas where I live, its not even that big.

Throw some 3.73s in it. Unless you have time, experience, knowledge to do something like this your truck is going to be out of commission longer than it will even be worth
gas and diesel up here are about the same price. sometime diesel is actually cheaper than gas and stays that way while gas prices jump up and down.

i do have to say if you try swapping and screw up you are out a truck and possibly a lot of money. no one likes buying a truck that don't run unless it is cheap.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:28 PM
haus84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

paid 3300 for the truck i have now, it has 4.10 or 4.11 gears in it now. and still gets about 8mpg towing, but i honestly dont think that 360 will pull a larger trailer at highway speeds, even with the trailer i have now i have to downshift on the slightest grades. i am looking to swap for shear pulling power

Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Moochoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like if you did some serious research, gathered all your hard parts like motor, clutch, pump, radiator,and electronics it might be doable in a week especially with the help of places like dodgeforum, cumminsforum, and 4btswaps...

Old 11-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be aware as well that the nv4500 behind the v8's uses a smaller input and output shaft than the cummins transmissions, so you will need to at least swap in the larger input. The rest would probably be fine if you leave the motor fairly stock.

I am quite interested to hear why GTXpress will never own a diesel truck.

Quick Reply: cummins swap?