2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i found cut wires on top of tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:10 PM
needa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i found cut wires on top of tranny

1995 ram 1500 5.2 4x2

about half way down the tranny at the top there is a connector mounted up there and the wires are cut. i think they go to the o2 sensor/s. there are four wires, teflon coated. two white a gray and a black. the exhaust was re-done before i bought it and it looks to ma as if they just cut out the sensors.

questions:
are the wires for the o2 sensor/s
if it is, how many sensors are there and is it possible to drill the exhaust and add in the sensors.
should i even worry about it?

one day... i will be getting tags for this thing for the first time and i cant remember if the thing had tags on it when i bought it five or six years ago. so i have no clue if it will pass emissions. i was told that since it is an obd1 the test will be the probe up the tailpipe.

thanx for looking,
-patrick

Old 11-05-2012, 07:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to go into the FAQ/DIY section . This link is on the first page, amongst a LOT of other info. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 PM
needa

how am i supposed to use a manual on the truck to find out my info? click through 1754 pages looking for a pick that may or may not exist? i did at least see the location of the o2 sensors. but that doesnt help me find out what the dude cut out years ago.

thanks for the copy/paste.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Wiring diagram will tell you the colors and number of wires. That is the easiest way to help. All of our trucks are different and without a pic it can be hard to offer any additional help. As for my truck with OBD II, I have two o2 sensors. Pre and post-cat. Also since I don't have the info off the top of my head, I would try the search function and search for o2 or oxygen sensors as o2 may be too short for the search string.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by needa
how am i supposed to use a manual on the truck to find out my info? click through 1754 pages looking for a pick that may or may not exist? i did at least see the location of the o2 sensors. but that doesnt help me find out what the dude cut out years ago.
And that, friends and neighbors, is how you win friends and influence people: Give them 5h17 for not doing your homework for you, for free.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Darren270
Rookie

how am i supposed to use a manual on the truck to find out my info? click through 1754 pages looking for a pick that may or may not exist?
Um, yeah. Thats usually what you do with a book.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
And that, friends and neighbors, is how you win friends and influence people: Give them 5h17 for not doing your homework for you, for free.
^^ Now you know it's easier for someone else to do the work.Took me all of 15 seconds to click on wiring diagrams and find out. Hmmm...lol
No hard feelings to the OP.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:51 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that's the O2 sensor harness.

your 95 has only one sensor, pre-cat, and its important. w/o that hooked up, you should have a permanent check engine light.

94-95 has 1 sensor.
96+ has 2 sensors.

if you have an elec connector on top of trans, disconnect it and rewire a universal O2 sensor to it, or replace it wth one with complete harness. install in pipe with an O2 bung. weld it in.

only an idiot cuts out the O2 sensor.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 PM
needa

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
that's the O2 sensor harness.

your 95 has only one sensor, pre-cat, and its important. w/o that hooked up, you should have a permanent check engine light.

94-95 has 1 sensor.
96+ has 2 sensors.

if you have an elec connector on top of trans, disconnect it and rewire a universal O2 sensor to it, or replace it wth one with complete harness. install in pipe with an O2 bung. weld it in.

only an idiot cuts out the O2 sensor.
thank you for helping me out. you get a plus one to your karma counter.

ramzy, thank you for telling me how to find it. no offense taken. it is the internet after all. i woulda taken a pic had my phone been next to me and it not started raining. by the time i posted and realized i forgot to go back and take it... it was already just about dark.

to the trolls.... i dont recall asking anyone to look something up for me. this was a question for someone that already knew. yet yall trolled me all the same. my guess is lack of intelligence and a need to feel more important than yall really are.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:32 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my guess is lack of intelligence and a need to feel more important than yall really are.
Knowing all of those things and working hard to become proficient in the application of that knowledge does not obligate me, or anyone else who has done so, to rush to your aid just because you're ignorant and lack competence. The one with the overinflated sense of self worth is the one who makes whiny demands like:

how am i supposed to use a manual on the truck to find out my info? click through 1754 pages looking for a pick that may or may not exist?
Once upon a time, no one ever asked, "How am I supposed to use a book? And why should I have to?".

There are many very knowledgeable people here who volunteer their time and energy to help just about anyone who comes along asking for it, and they deserve some respect for that. They do not deserve to be disrespected as you have disrespected them.

Have a nice day.

Quick Reply: i found cut wires on top of tranny