2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I bypass the door amp???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 01:41 PM
mizzbeks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I bypass the door amp???

When I got my truck, the door speaker amps were already cut out and the wires were a mess! I bought the truck off my dad, and I found out that my little brother had tried to replace the stock speakers himself years ago, and had cut out the door amps because he didnt know what they were.... well now I have a whole bunch of cut wires in my doors.

I got brand new speakers and a new head unit for the truck, but have no idea which wires to put together for the speakers to work....

Does anyone have the color code for the wires that go into the amp and what they do, so I know which ones go together? the color wires I have are purple, yellow, green, white, blue, grey, brown, and orange, (all solid, no strips).

I do have one of the amps, I'm assuming the other one got thrown away... should I buy another one and reconnect them? Should I rewire everything, (which I have no idea how to do)? or can I simply connect some of the wires together and complete the circuit without spending to much more money?

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!!

I have a 2000 dodge ram crew cab, 2WD 5.2 Laramie.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a complete disaster.... who knows what else is wrecked. if it were me i'd run new speaker wire to the doors and rid myself of all the stock infinity stuff.

btw there's another thread related: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ty-bypass.html

Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

And here's another, but it's for a '98, so may vary.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2878048-post11.html

Old 11-06-2012, 08:17 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you had both amps, it might be worth it to keep them and wire them in.

but - since you're missing one, and have a big wiring mess, AND you plan to replace the head unit, you'll be a lot better off to toss the amp, rewire it completely, and be done.

the purpose of the amp is to amp up the low level (line level) rca style outputs of the stock unit. since you are replacing the head with an aftermarket, you'll have a nice new shiny unit, with both low level and high level outputs fo 40+ watts. just run new speaker wires to the door, and connect to the speaker outputs, and you're done.

if you want more power, or subwoofer, then put a modern aftermarket amp in, and run the low levels to the amp, and the high levels from the amps to the speakers.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...-speakers.html

Quick Reply: How do I bypass the door amp???