2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clicking noise under dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise under dash

Recently replaced the battery post connector on neg side, kept loosening up and would get nothing when turned key to start. Now the replacement is loose and can't tighten to post. Put a vise grip on it until have time to fix, but still was nothing when turned key to start. Radio was on ,but static sounding and power outlet was working. Then I heard this clicking coming from over by fuse panel area, inside the cab. The clicking stopped after 20 seconds... I turned the key and it fired right up. Heard it couple other times over last year. I read clicking noise threads last night until my eyes were bleeding. It's not the solenoid click when your battery is dead. I do have a ten year old astro start that's wired up in that general area. Got it off now. One thread mentioned central control timer? Any enlightenment appreciated

Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Recently replaced the battery post connector on neg side, kept loosening up and would get nothing when turned key to start. Now the replacement is loose and can't tighten to post. Put a vise grip on it until have time to fix, but still was nothing when turned key to start. Radio was on ,but static sounding and power outlet was working. Then I heard this clicking coming from over by fuse panel area, inside the cab. The clicking stopped after 20 seconds... I turned the key and it fired right up. Heard it couple other times over last year. I read clicking noise threads last night until my eyes were bleeding. It's not the solenoid click when your battery is dead. I do have a ten year old astro start that's wired up in that general area. Got it off now. One thread mentioned central control timer? Any enlightenment appreciated
To me, until you get a good connection at the battery...everything else is just s symptom of a bad connection. Fix that first. Someone else jump in.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ctm (central timing module). i don't know of any reason for it to click. i'm not sure about the 99, but the 00-01 is a black box about 4 x 2 x 1 behind the power outlet area, attached to the dash brace. on the 01 it contains the dinger/chimer, but otherwise, its just a circuit board in a plastic box.

if your battery cable wont tighten down on the post, buy a new batter cable end at any parts store for about $5 or less. cut the old one off with no loss of wire length and clamp the new one on. it'll have a screw down clamp.

something like this
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ttery+terminal

Old 11-10-2012, 10:48 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
ctm (central timing module). i don't know of any reason for it to click. i'm not sure about the 99, but the 00-01 is a black box about 4 x 2 x 1 behind the power outlet area, attached to the dash brace. on the 01 it contains the dinger/chimer, but otherwise, its just a circuit board in a plastic box.

if your battery cable wont tighten down on the post, buy a new batter cable end at any parts store for about $5 or less. cut the old one off with no loss of wire length and clamp the new one on. it'll have a screw down clamp.

something like this
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ttery+terminal
That's the same one I got at O'riellys, can't tighten any further. Will get a 7.00 dollar one. The visegrip was just a quick way to clamp the connector to the post for a good connection, after which I turned the key 3 times tryin to start it, and nothing. Something was clicking during this time from the fuse box area. After 30 seconds the clicking stopped. Tried the key again and it started right up. Not the chimer, either. Could be the starter relay in PDC? But sounded like it was under dash , far left side. None of the threads had a resolve. Started 100 percent today..

Quick Reply: Clicking noise under dash