2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Beginning Wheeler Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 PM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger
^^ $20 for a set of large mud tires AND a saw?

20 for the saw tires can be found anywhere at night lol

Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Wow your picky... lmao

Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No I'm not picky, I just want to shop at your tire store!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM
dlyter09
Champion

Hater haha

Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 AM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nskyline34
What about a lock-right? Those are like $350-$400? It's not a spool, it's like a Detroit just it the whole carrier, it replaces the spider gears.
I'll put in my two cents about the Lock-Rite locker. I had it for just under a year and it worked great... until it blew up. Very street friendly, it would unlock around corners unless you stomped on it, then it would lock up. But overall not bad. My only deal was they only recommended it up to like 33" tires or maybe 35's. I have 35's and one day I left a red light nice and easy and kaboom. Now I have the full Detroit in the rear and haven't had any problems!

Old 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM
nskyline34
Rookie

Think ill just throw the lock-right in for right now, go to the local junk yard and get some axles and just get some wheeling under my belt. Then this winter/spring start ordering parts to get it where I want it and not waste $$ right now... Anyone know of a page where I can see a build up of some rock sliders?

Wombat Ranger- where around here can we go wheeling that you know of? I wanna go play at walker valley but I don't think I'll get anywhere with a stock rig on 33's. Any ideas?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM
nskyline34
Rookie

Originally Posted by FireDodge
I'll put in my two cents about the Lock-Rite locker. I had it for just under a year and it worked great... until it blew up. Very street friendly, it would unlock around corners unless you stomped on it, then it would lock up. But overall not bad. My only deal was they only recommended it up to like 33" tires or maybe 35's. I have 35's and one day I left a red light nice and easy and kaboom. Now I have the full Detroit in the rear and haven't had any problems!
Any downside to doing a lock-right in the front ALSO? I know that the axles will be on borrowed time, but come spring/summer a 1 ton swap will be in order...

Old 11-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by nskyline34
Think ill just throw the lock-right in for right now, go to the local junk yard and get some axles and just get some wheeling under my belt. Then this winter/spring start ordering parts to get it where I want it and not waste $$ right now... Anyone know of a page where I can see a build up of some rock sliders?

Wombat Ranger- where around here can we go wheeling that you know of? I wanna go play at walker valley but I don't think I'll get anywhere with a stock rig on 33's. Any ideas?

You have two other area's that are close and have a few trails for larger rigs. There is Evans Creek http://www.nwjeepn.com/EvansCreek.htm & Elbe Hills http://www.nwjeepn.com/Elbe.htm. Check to see if they are closed for the winter or not before you go up there. The other place that has trails for larger rigs is Tahuya. http://www.dnr.wa.gov/AboutDNR/Manag...te_forest.aspx

You have two places to find a club. The first is the PNW4WDA http://www.pnw4wda.org/ and the other is WOHVA http://www.wohva.org/
A local forum to find guys to wheel with and just a good group of guys.
http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/index.php

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 11-13-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

Stick with your 33" tire and don't go bigger until you learn to wheel those small tires. You might even want to wait on the rear locker and just learn to wheel with an open diff first. Putting armor on your truck is a good idea and could be where you spend your $1,000. There are some good fab shops in the area who could build you some. If you are going to do that yourself then try looking at some Toyota sites and use their designs on your truck. Just be aware that there aren't a ton of trails in Washington for a full size rig. And a lot of the trails that use to be tight and narrow that only a Jeep would fit down have been ruined by people who felt the trail should fit their rig too. So now they are so wide there is no challange anymore and it is like driving a paved road. If you really want to wheel some trail you need something Jeep size or older Toyota pickup size.

Don't take this wrong I am not picking on your truck I am just trying to tell you what is available here in Washington.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ everything he said. I used to wheel a '72 Power wagon on 39's but it went byby because it was too big and just needed too much. The quad I traded it for seems to fit most places pretty well though my next wheelin rig/project will probably be a '98-'99 durango. For any kind of aftermarket body armor or fabrication i wouldn't recommend anything but www.perkinsperformance.com. Best metal fab I have ever seen hands down. Local, just down in puyallup. His facebook page is more updated than the website. Jason, the owner, drives a 2nd gen cummins, so rest assured he knows his way around these trucks. I worked for him for a few months before I joined the air force.

Quick Reply: Beginning Wheeler Mods