2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Time for a new radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:40 PM
joekool4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new radiator

Well, I finally got a new job, kept the pizza thing to pay for gas. apparently the radiator got a pin hole in it. steam pouring out from the drivers side of it. Either way, I can ride my motorcycle to the new job. I wanted to know if there are any tips or tricks along with other things to check and replace while the truck is parked. I'm plannin on doing the radiator, water pump, thermostat, check the plenum replace if needed, double roller timing chain and possibly an E-fan.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:53 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check or just replace the bypass hose. It's a bitch to get to and no better time to replace since you'll be in there already

Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Yeah just get a new bypass hose, it's much easier to cut the old one off then throw a new one in their. Also might wanna get a water pump inlet tube if your new pump doesn't come with one. Mine was all rusted up and I shoulda bought a new one, ended up using silicone to seal it to the pump to make sure it wouldn't leak. If your replacing the rad hoses, you should also replace the factory clamps with worm gear clamps to prevent leaks. Check to see if your fan clutch is still good, shouldn't be much of any play in it. Bad clutch can turn a new pump into a bad pump.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you can do all that work if you want, but the radiator swap by itself is a very easy job. drain. (petcock thingy on drivers side with trick valve. turn counterclockwise 1/4 turn, pull out, turn another 1/4 while pulling). remove hoses. unhook the overflow tanks and set aside. remove bolts from shroud. lift out, set in. reassemble.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

If you plan to keep the truck awhile, you may want to opt for an all-aluminum radiator, which will typically last longer than the factory style plastic/aluminum radiator.

I was able to find a factory fit all-aluminum radiator for my '96 Ram 2500 4x4 from these folks:

http://alumorad.com/

Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM
joekool4
Professional

thanks, I'll definately check the hoses and fan clutch if i dont go with electric ones. and i did plan on using an all aluminum rad. I just figured what better time to fix everything, I'm pretty sure I need a new plenum gasket. the ping under hard acceleration and uphill, and oil consumption are both there along with a miss on number 8.

Quick Reply: Time for a new radiator