2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chugging lead to no start to rough ride. Plenum or worse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Cali7312
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Just another side not: When someone tells you that your coil may be bad....but truck will actually fire up and run....they are probaby wrong. It is possible, but checking for a strong spark first could potentially save you money. Too many people are of the "part swap" mentality, expecially if it is with someone else's money.

That is why many of us will suggest ways to check and verify before we say rel=lace something.

Notice, the post earleir was "Check TPS" and not just replace TPS. I would also recommend checking the IAC.

If you have not done so, download the service manual HERE. It will detail how to check TPS and IAC.

And your feedback is important to allow us to provide good info for you to try.
thankyou for this feedback, was wondering what to look for on the TPS. I agree on the part swap, but many people told me about the IC, so I went ahead and done it. Took it back after all. My IAC looks sorta rough after clean still, and on previous' i've cleaned they have came out alot better than that. So I might have to spend some $$ on that, no feedback on the TPS yet.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Cali7312
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bringing back a dead thread here, but I just wanted to say that a buddy of mine broke a spark plug off in my truck and I had to do an engine swap BC he started it without taking the head off and collecting the porcelain and the piston/walls bent/dinged up bad. Anyway before he told me he'd do it while I was working on my exhaust and never said a word about breaking it before starting it.

The engine was direct swap 5.2 from a 2000 ram, 60k less miles. The chugging went away due to, i'm guessing a better plenum, and I figured out my cold starts was from a tiny vacuum hole that collects to either the tps or IAC, can't remember, but I've never seen it there because it was so gunked up and so that removed my starting problem.

Got a little more experience with a lot of problems due to this hell of a time, so I guess everything happens for a reason...

Quick Reply: Chugging lead to no start to rough ride. Plenum or worse?