2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Propeller shaft fitment (2 piece)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 AM
_Floater
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Propeller shaft fitment (2 piece)

Hey sports fans, a self inflicted bone-head move leaves me in a bit of a predicament, requiring your help. My 5.2L, 1996 Ram required a new tranny to be installed (nv3500. yes i'm one of the lucky ones that decided pushing in a clutch the rest of my life was a good idea... not!) anyway, I yanked the old tranny and tossed in a used one but before I pulled the old one out, I forgot to mark the driveshafts for correct reassembling. Doh! Im such an ***!! Since the swap I have been trying to troubleshoot these damn vibrations. I've read everything on the subject so i'm well versed in the angles, phasing, etc. but what I cant figure out OR find a diagram of, is a view/picture of what the propeller shafts should look like when fitted on the truck. I've been down to the various junk yards to look at how they have the shafts fitted but can't find one that is the exact year as mine. One of them was an 94 I believe, man trans, and it had the center bearing mounted on the crossmember but clear over to the right, almost in line with the passenger seat, then angled down and inward from the slip yolk to the pinion flange. The other thing I noticed was that center bearing was mounted on the top side of the crossmember where as mine (I think) was initially mounted on the bottom side of the crossmember... If I were to try and mount my center bearing in the same spot as the one I saw at the junk yard, I would have to weld a whole new crossmember in there cuz moving it over would take away the length of the front shaft...

So, I guess my question is... anyone out there with a 96 5.2L Sport with a 5spd man trans, could you take a picture (or a couple pictures) of your 2 piece driveshaft fitment and post them for me? I've looked everywhere and the service manual doesn't have a diagram showing exactly how it's supposed to fit, where the carrier/center bearing is mounted, etc. any assistance will be rewarded with bath salts... just kidding... can you believe those freaks doing that ****? Unreal!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 PM
_Floater

no one has anything for me?? oh well, guess i'm no worse off than before

Old 11-14-2012, 02:26 AM
jmbishop
Professional

mine is a 2001 single cab with a 8ft bed, I can get a picture but it may not help.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many with the unreliable automatics would switch you in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: Propeller shaft fitment (2 piece)