2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.2 Magnum swap w/a 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 PM
BlackieLawless
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2 Magnum swap w/a 5.9

Hi all, So I finally found a 5.9 Magnum engine I am considuring buying for around $400, rebuilding it over the winter, & come spring, dropping it in my 01 Ram in place of the current 5.2 powerplant. The 5.9 is out of a 96 Ram w/ 160k miles w/ 2 wheel drive. My 01 is a 4x4 but will my 46re 4x4 tranny still bolt up to it?

One reason I am struggling buying the 5.9 is that I already have a 2nd 5.2 & 4x4 tranny in my 96 Ram that I am slowlly dismantling. The 96's 5.2 has about 140 k on it & has always run pretty stong w/o burning any oil. The fact that I have joined a 4x4 mudder club means there is that little bit of push to keep up with the rest of the pack but money doesn't grow on trees in my area either. I already bought & have the Hughes plenum kit & tune-up kit to install and the 4.56 gear sets. I'm thinking about the BIG GULP fuel intake Hughes has, an SCT tuner, and shoty headers from Summit as well. I have installed a Flow Master 50 dual cat back, & K&N intake. So all this said, what is your recommendation?

How about the low down on efans and cams while we are at it? (models / installation instructions / exsperiance)

Last edited by BlackieLawless; 11-20-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll only comment on the swap itself. It will bolt right up. Just use the flexplate thats on the 5.9 and the harmonic balancer pulley that's on the 5.9. After that, swap intake manifolds also. As the 01 has no EGR and some of the sensor locations are different as well as the sensors themselves and the amount of sensors like temp sensor . Might also want to check and make sure the torque convertor is the same for a 5.9. I think it is but you might want to put in a new one anyway, since the motor will be out. ANd don't forget to replace the freeze plugs on the back of the motor with brass ones.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM
BlackieLawless
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Durango w/a 5.9 is the newest canadite

Thanks Zman for the tips. I have gotten lucky (I think) & have located an 01 Dodge Durango w/a 5.9 Magnum & a 4x4 tranny w/ OD. The engine has 168 K and there is no issues so I am told w/ either the tranny or engine. I am going to try & pick both the engine & tranny up for $400-500 bucks. The owner is a mature guy so I am pretty confident it hasn't been beaten on & he has only towed a light duty trailer w/ it since he picked it up @ 90K. I should be able to do an easy swap out of the two powerplant & tranny in the spring once I over haul it over the winter, right?

I'm also gonna look at the leather buckets he has for a possible swap out as well.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions they might offer to help guide me in inspecting the motor and/or tranny or on the future overhaul / beef-up & installation tips?

Quick Reply: 5.2 Magnum swap w/a 5.9