2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY 3-4" Lift Kit Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Randy Curran
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A shackle flip will flex like stock. My 2500 already has the factory block and I want to get away from it. Your block idea sounds really scary. Your going to be breaking other things and then the fun is gone. If you already have the 3" block do the shackle flip and you'll be at 7", I'm pretty sure.

Your block idea reminds me of something on these pages http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...hack-jobs.html Trust me it's a whole thread on what not to do. It will also make you feel better about yourself. Trust me.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Shackle flip will move axle forward (or is it backwards?) about 1.5" and change the pinion angle. Need to get a zero rate milled to a certain degree to correct pinion angle and an offset to correct axle shift.

Bds sells a 4" flip and you can get a 1" zero rate from jkwoffroad.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 AM
nskyline34
Rookie

thanks guys for all of the input i really appreciate how it was constructive too and didnt just call me a dumba$$ or something. haha I ordered a 3" spacer for the front, and a zero-rate block set for the rear (they should be here by Dec 1st I hope). I'm just going to throw the front spacers in and then that will fix my front end issue. Next I will do a shackle flip with the factory rear spring hangers just enough to get me the 2" I need, then I'll throw the zero-rate block under for now. Then like you all said I'll just get used to wheeling with that.

I know everyone it cringing at me having 2 blocks in the rear (factory + zero-rate) but that will be disposed of as soon as I grad and get some coin to do a 4 link set up in the rear too. Also the truck doesn't get wheeled hard at all and sees about 100 miles a month of travel on the streets and has never chirped the tires so no axle wrap to worry about or any of that stuff.

Next in line I'm going to fab up some rock sliders and some front control arms to help move that axle a little forward and a track bar to re-center it too.

Last edited by nskyline34; 11-27-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 AM
nskyline34
Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys

Quick Reply: DIY 3-4" Lift Kit Advice