2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

WOT runs great other than that runs like poop.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The '95 only has a precat sensor screwed into the front of the cat right between the 2 pipes going in.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:57 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Arde
The '95 only has a precat sensor screwed into the front of the cat right between the 2 pipes going in.
Good catch! I lost that detail in the noise.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Nighthawk Pyro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Easy fix! Replace the upstream oxygen sensor. Use only Denso, NTK, or a dealership part. The rest are too iffy right out of the box.

I always replace upstream and downstream sensors at the same time, but it's not absolutely necessary to do so. The downstream sensor sits in a cleaner and hotter exhaust stream so it doesn't foul as soon as the upstream sensor.
Alrighty then I will give this a try on my next day off, so you wont hear from me till next saturday. Just one question, why doesn't it throw a code for this?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Nighthawk Pyro
Just one question, why doesn't it throw a code for this?
It eventually will, if you feel like driving it that way long enough to see it for yourself. I don't recommend it, though. It's not at all good for the engine.

The glitch comes by way of the fact that the PCM does not have any reliable reference against which to compare the operation of the sensor. There is a very broad normal, perfectly normal, range of operation for that sensor, and during this end of life failure mode the output signal falls within that range. It's a grossly inaccurate signal, but it's within the expected range of normal. Let it go long enough and the output signal will eventually fail to fall within that range, and a DTC will be set for it.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Nighthawk Pyro

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
It eventually will, if you feel like driving it that way long enough to see it for yourself. I don't recommend it, though. It's not at all good for the engine.

The glitch comes by way of the fact that the PCM does not have any reliable reference against which to compare the operation of the sensor. There is a very broad normal, perfectly normal, range of operation for that sensor, and during this end of life failure mode the output signal falls within that range. It's a grossly inaccurate signal, but it's within the expected range of normal. Let it go long enough and the output signal will eventually fail to fall within that range, and a DTC will be set for it.
Thankyou. that explains it quite well.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:07 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Thankyou. that explains it quite well.
You're welcome. Please do report back after swapping that critter out. Oh, and don't forget to disconnect the battery negative cable before starting work.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Not trying to thread jack but being we are on the topic; let say the rear (bosh) 02 sensor is "working" as far as the ECM is concerned.. with "Ready or OK" Status (emissions testing) but not actually reading. I say this because when my cat blew out after getting bad gas one time.. i never poped a code; and I drove around with a blew out cat for a few weeks.. smelling up anyone near.. LOL so i presume it's not actually reading and reporting back any real numbers to the Computer as it should have tripped a CEL.

Would it be safe to assume the Upstream O2 might be doing the same thing? Not really reading anything but just giving OK status. The upstream is factory.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
Would it be safe to assume the Upstream O2 might be doing the same thing?
If the engine is running normally, the sensor is okay.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Nighthawk Pyro

Okay pulled the O2 out it is broken so that is definitly a problem new one will be in tonight will let you know how it acts.

The new sesor is in and all is well with big red, now have to fine reason for loss of vacum under acceleration.

Last edited by Nighthawk Pyro; 11-27-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

The new sesor is in and all is well with big red, now have to fine reason for loss of vacum under acceleration.
This is manifested as your vents switching from dash or floor to defrost? If so, it's likely a check valve. Somewhere around here there's a thread about "wild vents" that'll get you going in the right direction. Good luck finding the thread with the lame search feature that comes with the forum software.

Quick Reply: WOT runs great other than that runs like poop.