2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shock bolt rusted

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That hardware does not have to be exactly original from Dodge. I used hardened stuff that was way better than the original from my local hardware shop - fastenall may even have a shop in your area & they have always been good to me. I went with case 12 for hardness, the original stuff was 8.8 I think. Farm & fleet type stores usually sell this stuff by the pound & you can save a ton of cash there.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Kerstingm
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the suggestions, I finished getting all four shocks installed the other night. I tried the hardware stores and Fastenal, all the could get on short notice (I wanted to finish the next day) were the 10-1.50mm flanged nuts. I went to Dodge for the bolts and flag nuts. $63.50 for six bolts four of the flag nuts and the two lower rear nuts. Yes WAY too expensive, but I wanted to stay with the original hardware andi didn't know what else to use in place of the flag nuts.
thanks again for all of the suggestions I will post some pics when I get a chance. I went with Rancho 7000, awesome ride now.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:48 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you pretty much have to stay with the flag nuts on the front lower, or else weld your own flags on. i don't think? there is a way to get a wrench in there, and if there is it'll be even harder to get it out once you torque it to 100+ pounds.

did you torque your lower front to about 110 pounds. if not it will rattle and thump under your feet. from experience

Old 12-02-2012, 12:42 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, all torque values for everything are listed in factory service manual. Available for download in the FAQ/DIY section here on DF.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Kerstingm
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I torqued everything to manual specs. I had to look them up since I misplaced my manual once again.
I will look here and download it.
I still need to decide where I want to get my axle shafts, hubs and bearings from. I plan on sticking with Rancho on everything that I can get. From what I am seeing online I think it is going to be cheaper to just purchase a new lift kit from them where I will get all new front end parts in a kit instead of trying to. Buy one part here and another part there. I have found a few places on here to look at, but if anyone has any experience with one place in particular please pass it on
Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Shock bolt rusted