2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hazards do not work when button is pressed but turn signals do

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 04:37 PM
M Laborde
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hazards do not work when button is pressed but turn signals do

My daughter came to me today & said her turn signals & brake lights weren't working. She actually had reverse lights & the 3rd brake light working but nothing else on the rear. I checked bulbs, new flasher, wiring, etc but everything checked out. I bought a new multi-switch & replaced that & it seemed to work.

But...

Before I bolted the new switch into place I noticed that the hazard light button was pressed & the blinkers worked, not the hazards. I released the hazard button & had the same problem I did with the old switch (no turn signal & no brake lights). I hooked the old switch back up & found that if I pressed/activated the hazard button, I got normal turn signal & brake light operation & not hazards. Releasing the hazard button got me no hazards & no brake lights nor turn signals.

Since there was no functional difference between the new & old switches, I left the old switch in.

Not having hazard lights concerns me but what concerns me more is the fact that brakes & turn signals only work when the hazard button is pressed. The hazards are supposed to be on an unswitched feed.

Has anyone encountered this or have any ideas?

TIA!

Mike

Last edited by M Laborde; 11-25-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:28 PM
M Laborde
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No ideas?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Checked the obvious? (fuses & relays?)

Old 11-27-2012, 05:20 PM
gertie240