2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bosch Injector with Ram 5.2L

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 01:50 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just because they work for you don't mean they work for everybody's motor. What mods have you done to your motor? Whats your A/F readings? or are you just basing this on reading spark-plugs? and the seat of your pants?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 AM
jmbishop
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Just because they work for you don't mean they work for everybody's motor. What mods have you done to your motor? Whats your A/F readings? or are you just basing this on reading spark-plugs? and the seat of your pants?
Ican log my A/F readings, anyone want to prove something by sending me a set of injectors?

Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 AM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I'm not saying they work in everybody's motors but the way you put it they are going to run 'pig rich' no matter what motor you put them in which it total BS!

I don't datalog my truck but anybody with the least amount of mechanical ability should be able to read a spark plug and the plug tip never lies.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:02 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

what i know on the subject

Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Connie Rowlands
Default How to clean the Fuel Injectors

I own a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 2 WD 318 Engine 5.2 Liter--- How do i clean the Fuel Injectors?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

errrr...

I rolled my sleeves up and dove into this subject some time back, and what I found was interesting and often conflicting..

caveat: my engine was a 2002 produced 5.9L.. it was also cali emissions.. there may have been an alteration between years..

my STOCK injectors were (benched) @ 23.6# @ 49psi... that landed them at 21# @ what is emerging as an industry standard of 43.5psi.. these were the red sticks w/between clear and translucent tips...

I attempted to run FMS genII four hole sprayers in 19#... I was fine at most speeds I operated, but was lean @ WOT.. very lean.. iirc around 17:1 a/f.. datalogged with a wide band a/f gauge..

I moved to accel 24#r's, and those things sucked donkey dingles.. they were across the board in spray pattern as well as delivery on the bench, and my engine HATED them.. don't buy or use metal body accel injectors.. < that is the only definitive thing I really have to offer..

I purchased and installed what I thought were FMS genII 22# four hole sprayers, but what turned out to be 24# sprayers.. nice pattern, benched w/uniform delivery.. good stuff.. Boy, was I RICH at ALL speeds.. that is when I discovered they were in fact 24#.. I used them for a good while using a tune hemifever drafted, which reduced delivery 7%.. I was good at all ranges except for WOT, where the a/f snitched on them, telling me they were providing a 11.5:1 a/f..

I found TRUE FMS genII 22# injectors, which are damn near identical to the 24#r's.. guess what? perfection... they were benched and flowed in the neighborhood of 225ml per minute and maintained a nice spray pattern at 39psi all the way to 50psi.. these are actually made by Seimens.. and- realize now, in conflict with the emerging industry standard of 43.5psi, MANY if not MOST Ford Motor Sports (FMS) injectors are rated at 39psi...

if anyone cares to search, I presented all of the data in a thread with auggiedog (or something to that affect) about all of this..

MY TAKE AWAY LESSON:

YOU ARE FINE WITH THE OE INJECTORS... CLEAN THEM IF NECCISSARY BUT DON'T 'UPGRADE' INJECTORS.. there is a heluva lotta work to get them working right that requires purchase of injectors, wideband a/f gauge, and data logging capabilities.. not to mention purchasing the ability to get custom tunes to set it right...

just a bit more: I ran an air gap, 1.7rr's, port matched intake/heads/exhaust, dual exhaust through 2.75" pipes, and here is what I think made a bigger difference than I would ever have previously expected: a good hood isolated cold air forced air induction... in the summer I ran (on the 22#r's) the -7% tune, and in the winter I ran a standard delivery tune... all eagle eyed via an LSU5.1 Bosch wide band (five wire) a/f gauge and reconciled with 02 readings (lambda), IAT readings, Vacuum and MAP as well..

take it for what it's worth.. stick with your OE's and roll on..

Old 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

No one really needs anything OTHER than stock unless you want some sort of 500HP+ monster motor, which most will never need out of their Magnum. Also, I have a suspicion that the 19Lb/hr ONLY work with certain emissions calibrations. Remember, there are 3 basic emissions calibrations, Federal, California, and Straight (called straight cause it doesn't need to match either Fed or Cali). Those then divide into various sections, such as Federal: LDC, MDC, and HDC... So you see that there could be quite a few variables, but MOST Dodge trucks came with either Federal or Straight calibration. Reason I bring up PCM calibration is that fuel trim, A/F ratio, etc vary on calibration, and some of these calibrations very likely restrict the amount of fuel trim to match the injectors... So it would be interesting to try the 19lb/hr out on various calibs and tunes... I have a set for those who wanna try. My truck is Straight calib.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM
bogwan09

I think I created some confusion by inquiring about 19#/hr injectors. I thought that was stock for my 5.2L. I received info from Motor Man Fuel Injector Supply about a Bosch #0280155784 that are stock replacement, four hole and are 22#/hr. They seem to be an appropriate upgrade.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:05 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here are some web pages that will help you figure out what you are looking at.

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm

http://users.erols.com/srweiss/calcpchg.htm

Old 11-29-2012, 02:10 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

22# should work, I think the PCM should be able to trim for that.

Quick Reply: Bosch Injector with Ram 5.2L