2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power steering pump going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Power steering pump going bad?

The reason I asked the OEM component life expectancy question is; in 156,000+ miles I've only had to replace the alternator (97k) and the water pump (104k), and I'm wondering what else I'm likely to be up for soon.

I'm starting to hear a faint squeal that is reminiscent of a power steering pump squeal.
The fluid level was down a little, but not "low", so I topped it off (first time ever).
Fluid color is a translucent golden brown (not clear like the top off fluid).

Any thoughts / similar experiences?

Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

before spending a lot of money on a new pump, try replacing the fluid using a walmart turkey baster. (engine off) suck it out and discard. put in new. run it around the block and turn back and forth, or jack up front and turn back and forth a couple of times. repeat several times until the fluid remains clean.

you can use either PS fluid or ATF+4, but use all one or the other. don't mix them (long term) as in top off one with the other. i think it'd be ok to mix them during a flush, but honestly, ATF+4 is pretty expensive and unlikely to provide any extra benefit over new PS.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty sure ATF+4 creates no pressure or something when not moving. I put it in mine and it hums like crazy when at full lock while barely moving. I would just stick with PS fluid

Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I topped off with an MS5931-PS spec fluid...

It's a faint PS pump like squeal that varies with engine RPM... it does not seem to vary with steering load (yet).

Quick Reply: Power steering pump going bad?