2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Magnum possible rod knock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM
benmannej1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 Magnum possible rod knock?

I'm new to this forum, and new to Dodge's. I've had Jeeps though!

Anyway, I bought a 98 1500 Sport, full loaded, 5.9 4x4, with 81k original miles. I picked it up cheap because the motor is knocking. The PO said that he replaced the bearings on the first journal, and then after he started it up 15mins later it started knocking again.
Also, once the truck warm up some it loses oil pressure. But, when i give it some gas, the pressure goes back to ~40.

Im pretty sure its a bearing issue, but id like some more input.

Also, if it is a bearing issue, might it be cheaper to pick up a used shortblock and just swap the good hard parts from my motor onto it?

Thanks
Ben

Old 12-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Be cheaper to just replace the main and rod bearings assuming the crank is OK. That oil pressure thing is common on these Dodges, could be the sending unit or the pressure gauge. The gauges aren't worth a damn for accuracy. Best to get a mechanical gauge so you know what is really going on.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id bet the low oil pressure is due to bearings. Just replace all the bearings.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Magnum possible rod knock?