2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electircal issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:54 PM
farnhamj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electircal issues

Need Help...I am stumped.

Last week LF turn signal blown. Replaced bulb. Now left signal indicator on dash is always lit although turn signals are not on. When headlights are turned on or when left turn signal used, wipers run on normal speed until lights or turn signal turned off. Also when I use the left turn signal, both front and back blink fast like a bulb is out but they are both working.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM
farnhamj

Oh yeah, I am working on a 2000 dodge ram 1500 sport, 5.9 engine

Old 12-05-2012, 04:32 PM
farnhamj

update: took out wiper relay and all symptoms gone except the left turn signals still blinking fast but working still.

replaced relay and removed LF bulb. All symptoms gone except 4WD makes wipers go and left turn signals still blinking fast and working.

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

wow.
i can't figure out whether power is backfeeding into the cluster to turn all those lights on, or going out from somewhere in the column to hit the wiper circuit.

a common problem in our trucks is a screwup in the column wiring at the tilt wheel joint. if you remove the clamshell type covers around the column, you'll see a big wad. you need a long skinny torx to unscrew the bottom half, and then a lot of patience to unhook them w/o breaking. there might be a short rubbed between them.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Timster

Always check your grounds.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM
farnhamj

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
wow.
i can't figure out whether power is backfeeding into the cluster to turn all those lights on, or going out from somewhere in the column to hit the wiper circuit.

a common problem in our trucks is a screwup in the column wiring at the tilt wheel joint. if you remove the clamshell type covers around the column, you'll see a big wad. you need a long skinny torx to unscrew the bottom half, and then a lot of patience to unhook them w/o breaking. there might be a short rubbed between them.

Yeah. that is my next step. I have the wiring diagram for the large connector for all the controls. I am going to check continuity on those next. then my plan was to undo the cable of wires and see if there is any open areas. I have it all rigged now so that it is legal to drive but need to fix the problem and I really don't want to take it to a garage.

Also, will putting it on a computer tell me anything if I don't have any engine codes displayed?

Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM
farnhamj

Originally Posted by Timster
Always check your grounds.

I have been checking all my grounds as I go and they are all good so far. Thanks

Quick Reply: Electircal issues