2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 Ram 1500 - Stalls after driving 10 min.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:06 AM
barnmgr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you BW! I am now crystal clear on that I guess I will have him look / change or test the 02 sensor today..other than that..I only know I can't drive the truck over 10 miles, then it stalls, and I have to wait for it to cool down b/4 starting again. This is crazy. :::smh:::

Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM
barnmgr

Disconnected the 02 sensor..no luck. The mechanic spent the morning tracing and checking all the wiring and found spark coming IN the coil, but not OUT. Called parts store, the guy just happen to be rebuilding HIS dodge and said he had the same problelms. Decided to order a reman. ECM for $138/with their discounts. Will arrive on Saturday. I HOPE this is the solution! Thanks, guys, for ALL your input!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by StupedForBuyingAdodge
My 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 does this same thing. I'm not sure were to start. The longer I let it cool down, the longer I can drive it. Also if I have the A/C on it tends to shut down faster. I guess because the engine heats up faster. Please my wife is beating me up because I bought dodge. I need some help. What can it be?
Start with cleaning the throttle body, there is a DIY in the FAQ section for that. Be thorough.

If that doesn't help, check the throttle position sensor.....

Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 PM
mrau92me
Rookie

Originally Posted by barnmgr
Disconnected the 02 sensor..no luck. The mechanic spent the morning tracing and checking all the wiring and found spark coming IN the coil, but not OUT. Called parts store, the guy just happen to be rebuilding HIS dodge and said he had the same problelms. Decided to order a reman. ECM for $138/with their discounts. Will arrive on Saturday. I HOPE this is the solution! Thanks, guys, for ALL your input!
Did I miss something? You may have gotten a bad coil out of the box. I might try a different coil before I installed the reman ECM.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by StupedForBuyingAdodge
My 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 does this same thing. I'm not sure were to start. The longer I let it cool down, the longer I can drive it. Also if I have the A/C on it tends to shut down faster. I guess because the engine heats up faster. Please my wife is beating me up because I bought dodge. I need some help. What can it be?
This is a classic symptom of a bad crank sensor. But, before spending money, try cleaning the IAC and throttle body , disconnect negative battery cable before doing so. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by barnmgr
If you didnt get an OEM crank sensor, i will say you have crank sensor issue.
I know NAPA crank sensors are garbage.
And seems as tho people have experienced issue's with every other brand out there.

Dave

Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM
barnmgr
Wink

Changed the ECM and truck has been running PERFECT since..So the total amount spent BEFORE the ECM was about $400 in parts that weren't really needed..I guess the mechanic should have checked the ECM first? I LOVE my Dodge!! oh yes I do..

Old 09-26-2014, 07:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Flashing CEL indicates the engine is missing. Could be plugs, wires, cap/rotor, or crank sensor. Could even be a bad O2 sensor.... has the plenum been fixed yet?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's a plate on the bottom of the intake manifold. Check out the Be all, end all plenum thread stickied at the top of this forum. Lots of info for ya there.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:32 PM
barnmgr

After over a year and a crapload of $$$$..I have replaced the Idle air sensor THREE times and the truck has been running fine ever since! (the 1st 2 were bad from the parts store) also replaced the ECM @ $138 from Discount auto.

Knocking on wood this truck makes it to the 1st of the year w/no problems, I do, however,need brakes. LOVE my truck!

Quick Reply: 95 Ram 1500 - Stalls after driving 10 min.