2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Headlights/HID?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM
flyingdutch16
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would i need to change my wiring harness and fuse for HIDS?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I need to see good at night, I just whip out the Mag Light

Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't, you'd have to wire in their ballast thing for the HID's though. Which I think in most cases is just a plug and play into the factory wiring. I may be wrong regarding that, however.

*edit*
I have a flashlight that throws farther than my headlights in high.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM
stewie01
Legend

That's my point with the Mag Light, sends light much further down the road. I hate my lows and highs. It's time for new assemblies. And the Sylvania UltraStar suck as suggested by others.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just picked this one up a week ago. Damn thing is BRIGHT!!!! Brighter than my lights and small. Shines up to 419ft.

http://www.coastportland.com/px25-led-flashlight.htm

Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Originally Posted by flyingdutch16
Would i need to change my wiring harness and fuse for HIDS?
No changes to the wiring harness or fuses should be necessary. You should be able to find a plug n play kit that will allow the ballast and HID bulb to both be wired in to the factory harness without any splicing. The hardest part about the whole freakin thing is finding a convenient place to mount the ballast to haha. Most kits come with less than satisfactory mounting hardware

Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by stewie01
That's my point with the Mag Light, sends light much further down the road. I hate my lows and highs. It's time for new assemblies. And the Sylvania UltraStar suck as suggested by others.
My 2D Rebel LED Mag is throws pretty far, but has sh1tty battery life. Oh well, that's why it's in the truck. That's why it's red too, but that's beside the point.
I also have what was an incan 3D Mag, I dropped a cheap LED in it and it is actually brighter than the stock Krypton... Oh, and I have a MiniMag that I also threw a cheap LED and switch in. And I have the 1st gen XL50 tac light as my work carry light. I feel so uh....special.
I am considering getting the 2nd gen XL50 just for ***** and giggles.

Sanded your housings yet? Try that first.
Originally Posted by kejobe
Just picked this one up a week ago. Damn thing is BRIGHT!!!! Brighter than my lights and small. Shines up to 419ft.

http://www.coastportland.com/px25-led-flashlight.htm
I was looking at the PX45 I think it was, but I couldn't justify the $45 price at the time. Then they disappeared. Another Mag might join my collection then anyway.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
My 2D Rebel LED Mag is throws pretty far, but has sh1tty battery life. Oh well, that's why it's in the truck. That's why it's red too, but that's beside the point.
I also have what was an incan 3D Mag, I dropped a cheap LED in it and it is actually brighter than the stock Krypton... Oh, and I have a MiniMag that I also threw a cheap LED and switch in. And I have the 1st gen XL50 tac light as my work carry light. I feel so uh....special.
I am considering getting the 2nd gen XL50 just for ***** and giggles.

Sanded your housings yet? Try that first.

I was looking at the PX45 I think it was, but I couldn't justify the $45 price at the time. Then they disappeared. Another Mag might join my collection then anyway.
Like 3 times. They're done for. Gonna get new set from amautoparts sooner or later.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by stewie01
Like 3 times. They're done for. Gonna get new set from amautoparts sooner or later.
You should get some single-bulb Sport housings. The ones that are styled like the Sport Quad Beams but only have the one bulb in them. They look great.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
x 2. the silverstar and silverstar ultra bulbs tend to burn out faster than the regular ones and are almost twice as expensive per pair. they do burn hotter than the regular bulbs which is why the do not last as long. I get complaints all the time about them at work and I have stopped recommending them to customers for the most part. In my opinion, HIDs are almost more trouble than they're worth. I've been through three of the $115 price range sets and they always seem to quit working right after the warranty expires! Maybe its just my luck. However, HIDs are def a better light source (esp. 6000K - the higher in the color zone you get, the less light ouput there is) , but get some quality ones with more than a 1 year warranty.

Source of below

You've pretty much summed up why I have no interest in HIDs. Here is a good example of using HID bulbs in improper housings compared to proper housings.

Ok, to show you, here is what I was talking about with HID is tossed in a housing not designed for it and blinding oncoming drivers.

This picture is the Hellfire HID inside the IPF housings and look at the light going everywhere. See those huge vertical beams and “starburst” patterning? This is the "normal" action when tossing an HID bulb in the "wrong" housing. This is the crap that blinds you from people with those annoying HID kits, this is the reason why DOT is cracking down on them as well.

And this is the Hellfire bulbs in the factory JK housings.

You see what I am saying! Ok, done with that, you form your own opinions and use on this one.

What is interesting about the video posted earlier is that there is no sharing of what the resulting light spread is on the wall/distance. Only about 10 seconds of that video had value in showing the lights actually come on. Sorry if I'm being too critical, but I wouldn't be surprised that the DIYer would say no problems being flashed. Just something to consider if you are going this route and looking at that video for reference. Please do your lights properly for the safety of others and yourself.

Quick Reply: New Headlights/HID?