2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cant shift out of 2h, knowledge requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
The cad could be the problem.. Are you 100 percent sure it is not in the case?

No, I'm not any percent sure but merc was pointing toward the same thing...i got wrapped up with dinner company but let me run out now and see if i can get an answer about wether or not there is any vac in the lines.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Thought this would be a good time to throw this in here...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-shifting.html

Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

ok, so I do have vac at the cad (center axle disconnect)

I put in 4lo and fired it up and then went down to check and sure enough vac sucking away on one line, put it back in 2h and back underneath and sure enough sucking away on the other line so I believe thats a good sign the new actuator and housing i ordered will solve the problem ay?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Does it actually engage 4lo and not 4hi?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Does it actually engage 4lo and not 4hi?
I cant really verify that it engages at all, I have not been able to block up the truck for a free spin test nor are there any place around the city here where i can drop into some mud and find out but hopefully ill get it up in the air here shortly to confirm.

All i can say is that if i turn the truck off to shift i can confirm it shifts into 4lo and Im fairly certain i can feel it shift into 4h, but again bout all i can say is..truck off shift..truck on drive back and forth..yes...is it really engaged..not sure.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

I cant wait til i stop getting these messages and can post up my own avatar pic and sig...itll be like xmas! only...after xmas..

baileysoffroad, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Dlyter, i was trying to check out your pics in the garage this time when i got the message..I wont be far from you in a few months...heading to the dingmans ferry area for a couple years. I'll have to hit ya up for some good places to go with this truck when i get there..but then..2.5 hours away isnt down the road either.

Last edited by baileysoffroad; 12-12-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by baileysoffroad
I cant really verify that it engages at all, I have not been able to block up the truck for a free spin test nor are there any place around the city here where i can drop into some mud and find out but hopefully ill get it up in the air here shortly to confirm.

All i can say is that if i turn the truck off to shift i can confirm it shifts into 4lo and Im fairly certain i can feel it shift into 4h, but again bout all i can say is..truck off shift..truck on drive back and forth..yes...is it really engaged..not sure.
I would not be doing that..... yet.

Did the 4wd dash light come on?

Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
I would not be doing that..... yet.

Did the 4wd dash light come on?
No sir.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just keep going where your headed, You could take it off clean it bench test it, check the shift collar as well, no gasket is used just black rtv and just a thin film or 1/16th bead.

Last edited by merc225hp; 12-12-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Remove adivce
Old 12-12-2012, 08:58 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran

Well, parts should be here in 2 days and Ive got so many other things to go over with no plans of going wheelin in that time i figured i'd just wait an throw the new one in an then post results. That being said we are suppose to get snow monday so it would great if I at least sorta had 4wd.

Quick Reply: Cant shift out of 2h, knowledge requested