2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 AM
vaninator
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i talked to a different mechanic today and he doesn't think its the heater core. my windows don't fog up with the defroster on, heat actually works really well, no wet floorboards. he says the coolant smell could be from a number of things. is it possible that its maybe just some moisture in the heater core or something? please help me get the right diagnosis assuming its NOT the heater core

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

If your engine temp is stable, and correct, the thermostat is fine. Keep in mind, ANY leak will allow the engine to run hotter than normal.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are pictures of my old heater core. Notice the leaks are very minor (pinholes). There would be a smell of coolant from time to time and every once in a while the windshield would fog when the defroster was turned on.

How many miles does your truck have? That would be a big help in diagnosing the issue.

Quick Reply: Heater Core