2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 dodge problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:35 PM
greanbeans
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 dodge problems

Ok so I used the awesome search feature on here and couldn't find anything really about my problems my truck is having. First of its trans and I know dodges are known for the problems but I just don't know if I could replace minor stuff and adjust the bands on it. It slips really bad and doesn't like to kick down when warm and only does sometimes when cold and it shutters when going up any hill no matter how steep it is. Also its hard to start in the morning and has that sweet ploom of doom and blows black smoke like its running real rich. Anyone have any suggestions on my problems and possible fixes

Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Halojm
Professional

Some info on your truck is needed, engine, trans, mods that have been done. Is your plenum fixed. Sounds like you need a band adjustment and TV adjustment for starters.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 PM
greanbeans
Rookie

318 46re auto trans plenum fix is a don't know and mods are shorty headers and a cheap intake and straight pipe exhaust

Old 12-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Halojm
Professional

Originally Posted by greanbeans
318 46re auto trans plenum fix is a don't know and mods are shorty headers and a cheap intake and straight pipe exhaust
What do you mean by a cheap intake? Manifold? Or air filter

Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Halojm
Professional

If you don't know if your plenum has been fixed....read this.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html

Old 12-09-2012, 11:09 PM
greanbeans
Rookie

Air filter is spectre but the air intake is cheap not intake manifold

Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 PM
greanbeans
Rookie

Ive read that thread about plenum gaskets before only I don't have a cat to get clogged in my truck but it does use oil because the rear main seal is leaking and I believe that the timing cover is leaking too but leaks don't bother me I'm now worried about the black and blue cloud that follows me when I get on the freeway. And if anyone can find me a link on how to adjust the bands in the trans. I know where to adjust just can't find anywhere that properly tells me how to do so

Old 12-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Halojm
Professional

Understanding, your not running a cat however, if your burning oil to the extent of blue/black smoke, I would highly suggest doing the plenum fix. It could be the cause of multiple problems your truck is having.
With a blown plenum gasket, oil is being sucked into the intake, then into your cylinders, robbing your engine of power, fowling spark plugs(this could be your start up issue) burning off creating your smoke screen. Hughes engine performance sells the whole kit for $119, while your doing that is a good time to address your other leaks.

Last edited by Halojm; 12-10-2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 PM
greanbeans
Rookie

True but when I put the shortys on I pulled some of the plugs and they weren't wet or anything. I also think I need a oil pump cause I don't have very good oil pressure and I get a cold start knock. would the plenum leak cause this cause it happens even if my oil is at the right level and it runs just below normal range

Old 12-10-2012, 11:17 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When mine was blown, my plugs were fine, just a bit of deposit from the valve stem seals.

But I was going through a quart per 150mi.

Quick Reply: 1996 dodge problems