2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Baseball card in spokes noise.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:19 AM
sethcorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baseball card in spokes noise.

Well, I really don't know how else to describe this noise.

I rarely hear it in city driving, but once I hit the highway coming up to highway speed, I hear almost a rattle type noise or a card in spokes, not as clicky but more of a rattle, its very hard to describe the noise. IT's most certainly coming from the engine. It almost seems to stop too when I lift off the gas pedal. It seems to be around 1.5-2 K RPM, only under load or touque of highway pull (if that makes sense) cuz revving the engine or city driving from 1.5K-2K RPM I do not hear it. Almost like when the butterfly is open more.

Im replacing the belt this weekend and taking a long look at the idler pulley and entire tension pulley and assembly.

Also sorry to get long winded, but my AC clutch kicks on and off alot!!! When the Defrost is on! Ive seen a few people have issues with this b4.

5.9 Liter 1999 Dodge ram 4x2

PS Its pretty damn loud, but once it settles down and I put it in cruse control at 65MPH no noise!

Old 12-13-2012, 01:16 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be mistaking this noise for pinging, which would indicate a blown plenum. Read the plenum sticky at the top of the tech page.

As for your A/C, your problem is likely the wild vents issue, search "wild vents" and you'll find a ton of threads on it.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 AM
sethcorn

Yeah its gotta be some pining, 64,000 miles, 5.9 liter. It does seem a little delayed or sluggish on the pedal/power.

The only thing is im not burning any oil, it maintains the level very very well. Would this still be the plenum??

PS ive tried premium fuel and still get the ping.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if the sound is the loudest when you lay into the gas pedal, and then eases off as you ease the gas pedal, and it sounds like marbles in the engine, and it does not make the sound when idleing or driving lightly downhill - then its most likely pinging.

make sure you've got a full concentration of premium/high octane fuel.
as an experiment, run the gas tank level down some, and try a little bit of octane "boost" from the parts store. don't go crazy and put too much. and DO NOT use a LEAD substitute or additive as it might/will ruin you catalytic.

it is possible to have a leaking plenum and ping without excessive oil use. mine was like that.

see if you can find a octane level that quietens it down. that'll prove what it is or isn't and give you more options.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:01 PM
sethcorn

I ran high octane at the pump and that didn't help at all, its been getting progressively worse.

I spider-manned (carefully) on top of my engine and looked down the intake and there wasn't any pooling of oil, however there was alot of black crud. So im thinking this spring when it warms up a little a new plenum is in store

Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Just for grins, grab yourself a can of SeaFoam. Get the truck nice and hot and run it through the brake booster, follow the instructions on the can.

It will hopefully clean the bottom of your intake out and dump off any carbon left in the cylinders.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:29 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Have you actually verified there is no cards in your wheels?? How long has it been since a good tune up?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran

[quote=sethcorn;2925139]
Also sorry to get long winded, but my AC clutch kicks on and off alot!!! When the Defrost is on! Ive seen a few people have issues with this b4.
quote]

My A/C clutch also does that, but i've read that it's normal. According to other forums the compressor will kick on periodically to remove the moisture from the air when defrost is engaged. I think the wild vents issues refers to air blowing out the defrost vents when defrost is not on...but i could be mistaken. Hell i could be wrong on everything but i'm not to concerned with it - my truck only has 80k miles so i can't believe that i have the wild vents issue already.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Spot on!

It doesn't really matter how much mileage your truck has, heat and age will take its toll on everything plastic or rubber, regardless of mileage.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by sethcorn
Well, I really don't know how else to describe this noise.

I rarely hear it in city driving, but once I hit the highway coming up to highway speed, I hear almost a rattle type noise or a card in spokes, not as clicky but more of a rattle, its very hard to describe the noise. IT's most certainly coming from the engine. It almost seems to stop too when I lift off the gas pedal. It seems to be around 1.5-2 K RPM, only under load or touque of highway pull (if that makes sense) cuz revving the engine or city driving from 1.5K-2K RPM I do not hear it. Almost like when the butterfly is open more.

Im replacing the belt this weekend and taking a long look at the idler pulley and entire tension pulley and assembly.

5.9 Liter 1999 Dodge ram 4x2

PS Its pretty damn loud, but once it settles down and I put it in cruse control at 65MPH no noise!
Automotive fact #1, the ac compressor will run then the defrost is on. It is supposed to. Your owners manual is a great reference for learning about your vehicle. Maybe you can educate these "few people" with your new found knowledge.

Last edited by jkeaton; 12-13-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Baseball card in spokes noise.