2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

one sick Ram

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM
rdubya
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default one sick Ram

My 2000 1500 has some issues, please help.
She was running fine, I parked for 3 days and alarm drained the battery. I jump started and it wouldn't run without holding gas pedal down and spewing grey smoke from the tailpipe. no codes. any suggestions?

Old 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Bad battery and valve seals

Old 12-29-2012, 05:29 PM
blindsided
Professional

Was the alarm going off for 3 days?... otherwise it's kinda odd that it would drain the battery. I'd make sure the battery is charged, make sure the charging system is working properly, if all that's okay figure out whats draining the system.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

weak battery causes a no-idle condition on these trucks. less than 12 volts messes up the reference signals. charge the battery up good and reset pcm and it'll probably fix it.

reset pcm by disconnecting neg battery cable and turning on headlights for 30 sec.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 PM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the weak battery, no idle thing. And your battery is most certainly bad. It shouldn't lose charge after only 3 days of sitting. My battery was on its last legs so i jumped it and was making my way to work to change it, came around a turn and the truck freakin died on me right in the middle of the intersection going about 20 mph. No power steering, no brakes, no nothin. After i changed my pants and my battery, truck ran just fine.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM
rdubya

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
weak battery causes a no-idle condition on these trucks. less than 12 volts messes up the reference signals. charge the battery up good and reset pcm and it'll probably fix it.

reset pcm by disconnecting neg battery cable and turning on headlights for 30 sec.
I will definitely test this. battery is charging, going to do an oil change and tune-up as a precautionary measure. let you know.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 PM
rdubya

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
+1 on the weak battery, no idle thing. And your battery is most certainly bad. It shouldn't lose charge after only 3 days of sitting. My battery was on its last legs so i jumped it and was making my way to work to change it, came around a turn and the truck freakin died on me right in the middle of the intersection going about 20 mph. No power steering, no brakes, no nothin. After i changed my pants and my battery, truck ran just fine.
been there! thanks for sharing!

Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM
rdubya

I found out that left my satellite radio on!
dead battery not bad charging system. I'm more concerned about the smoke and no idle!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:25 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reset PCM as mentioned. It could be running rich (hence smoke) due to being confused and dumping fuel, further confusing O2 readings. Try that and see if it clears it up.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 AM
rdubya

Originally Posted by gdstock
Reset PCM as mentioned. It could be running rich (hence smoke) due to being confused and dumping fuel, further confusing O2 readings. Try that and see if it clears it up.
will do!

Quick Reply: one sick Ram