2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bizarre engine noise, only when warm....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Bug Out
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre engine noise, only when warm....

I have owned several Dodge diesels since 1997 and just recently bought my first gas dodge p/u for work. I've been on TDR over 10 years.

I bought a 1997 Dodge 2500 s/box 2wd with a 5.9 gas engine as a work truck. Its from Michigan and has a "bit" of rust on it..I'm guessing it all stopped rusting once it got to az..

Anyhow, the truck runs strong, smooth etc but once its gets warm, the engine has a "ticking/kinda sounds like exhaust leak" noise coming from it...Once underway, it goes away, or I cant hear it anymore ..

When its cold, no noise at all,purrs like a kitten, once warm ticking almost like a rocker arm, but not quite as consistent as a rocker arm at that, but mimics a exhaust leak. I have probed around with a stethoscope but no luck...

It appears to be coming from the front of the motor, almost like the timing chain area.

Hopefully someone else has had this problem and knows a fix..Thanks for any help in advance.

Ed

Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When it's making noise, grab hold of the EVAP purge solenoid on the passenger side fender well and see if your noise is in time with it. If so, no worries because it's just the normal noises in there.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I think the purge solenoid on his is on the drivers side rear of the engine.... that's where mine is.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think the purge solenoid on his is on the drivers side rear of the engine.... that's where mine is.
You're almost certainly right.

Quick Reply: Bizarre engine noise, only when warm....