2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 wheel drive problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM
brandonb1481@yahoo.com
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4 wheel drive problems

another forum wasnt helping with this problem cause no one commented. but i need much needed help! well to start off theres alot of snow here in south ohio. and its no fun when my 4 wheel drive wont engage. its weird how its acting. i will be on flat concrete or anywhere and ill put it in neautral. then pull in back in 4 wheel high. then put it in reverse, let it roll back by itself. and then put it in drive. no 4wd light. nothing happens. but when i do this and attempt to put it in 4 wheel low. i do the same thing and when i put it in drive it will be torqy just like its engaged. but no 4wd light. and only my back tires will spin? and i heard a way to check if its good is if you arent able to spin your front driveshaft with your hand. and im able to. but the whole tranny had a rebuild in the summer of 2011. and the rebuild costed alot of money. i got it from a good friend who only used it to haul wood. and i got it winter of 2011. and it has engaged everytime. except the last few months. i need help bad please!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Problem probably is in the CAD system.. Gonna have to take a look at that and see if that is where your problem is.. Also these trucks are shift on the fly.. You dont need to be in neutral to go into 4hi.. When going into 4 lo is the only time you need to shift to neutral.. There is a link I will have to find and post up for the 4x4 and CAD system...

Edit: Have a look at this link and read through..

http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/4x4_engagment.htm

Old 12-31-2012, 02:35 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you live in the rust belt. the metal vacuum lines, that supply vacuum to the cad unit have probably rusted out. just get 2 sections of 48" length brake line and bend them in the same shape as the current lines.

your 4wd should work fine afterwards!

Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonb1481@yahoo.com
another forum wasnt helping with this problem cause no one commented. but i need much needed help! well to start off theres alot of snow here in south ohio. and its no fun when my 4 wheel drive wont engage. its weird how its acting. i will be on flat concrete or anywhere and ill put it in neautral. then pull in back in 4 wheel high. then put it in reverse, let it roll back by itself. and then put it in drive. no 4wd light. nothing happens. but when i do this and attempt to put it in 4 wheel low. i do the same thing and when i put it in drive it will be torqy just like its engaged. but no 4wd light. and only my back tires will spin? and i heard a way to check if its good is if you arent able to spin your front driveshaft with your hand. and im able to. but the whole tranny had a rebuild in the summer of 2011. and the rebuild costed alot of money. i got it from a good friend who only used it to haul wood. and i got it winter of 2011. and it has engaged everytime. except the last few months. i need help bad please!
Dlyter provided a good link to understand the CAD system and operation.

Redneck provided one solution if your hardline system is compromised.

I did notice you said in 4lo that the system seems working. The 4wd light doesn't always come on immediately. Sometimes its a minute or few. Same thing when disengaging.

I additionally check all your vacuum lines. This would include the ones up on top and backside of intake manifold to make sure no leaks or disconnects. Less likely though since you got 4lo to work...it seems. This isn't a tranny issue per se based on what you described. Focus on the CAD system and then the next thing is possibly Tcase.

Also, there is wire harness from the CAD system that plugs in below the radiator. It is what carries the on/off 4wd light signal. Check if there and plugged in..

Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 PM
brandonb1481@yahoo.com
Amateur

yeah i may go check out all that stuff in a few. the 4 wheel low confuses me how i can only get the back tires to spin in the snow

Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i may go check out all that stuff in a few. the 4 wheel low confuses me how i can only get the back tires to spin in the snow
thats because the cad unit isnt engaging, thus creating 2 low, a very awesome creation if you have a posi-lock to replace the vacuum vad unit.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:00 PM
dlyter09
Champion

That leads me to say that your problem is your CAD.. the tcase is working fine but your cad is your issue.. Start digging into it.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 PM
brandonb1481@yahoo.com
Amateur

yeah im going to start on it in the garage and start up the torpedo heater. if i cant seem to make it work with the cad unit should i check out that posi lock 4x4? cause i heard it worked better and was easier on the front axle

Old 12-31-2012, 03:15 PM
dlyter09
Champion

yeah im going to start on it in the garage and start up the torpedo heater. if i cant seem to make it work with the cad unit should i check out that posi lock 4x4? cause i heard it worked better and was easier on the front axle
The posi loc is a great thing.. It is 100 times more reliable than the CAD unit.. Also gives you the ability for a 2 lo operation

Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 PM
brandonb1481@yahoo.com
Amateur

i found one for 160 bucks on rocky mountain suspension. is this a good site? or any other places

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive problems