2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 dodge 5.2 problems.. again..

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM
EthanJohns
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 dodge 5.2 problems.. again..

ALright so i have a new battaery in my truck.. when the truck is running my volt guage says i have <14 volts. Now when i turn on my heater (its cold here in minnesota) and my headlights the volt meter drops to id say around ten. im not really sure where to look. i pulled the negative cable off my battery while the ruck was running and it stayed running. where should i begin with troubleshooting lol

Old 01-05-2013, 03:53 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Sounds like alternator isn't putting out. There is a brush kit you can get and repair it or just get new alternator. About 130.00. Make sure the serp belt isn't slipping. When my alt started doing the same thing I could give it a tap with hammer and it would start charging, it got me back to town.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM
EthanJohns

thats what i was thinking too but on wednesday i had my alternator tested and they said it was fine.. im thinking im gonna take it off again and have it rechecked to see..

Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

If the alt passes a second test, that would imply that the regulator isn't doing it's job. Unfortunately, the regulator is part of the PCM.... gotta replace the PCM if it's bad, or, wire in an external regulator, and hook up a couple of the PCM wires to it, to fool the PCM into thinking that IT is still doing the job... (else, you get a permanent check engine lite.)

Old 01-05-2013, 11:44 PM
EthanJohns

So i venture out to my truck because it was bugging me and i start tinkering with it. i look at my serp belt right by the alternator and tensioner and the damn thing was slightly flappin. intial thought was DOH! ... pulled back on the tensioner started up the truck and bam friggin heat and healights running volt guage sat nicely at 14<. thank you guys for the help.. again.. im sure ill be back in about 2 days with the way my luck is going. thanks

Old 01-06-2013, 07:28 AM
guzman
Professional
Default Tensioner

Sounds like your tensioner is not doing its job, rockauto.com has a fair price on them. Replace the belt at the same time if it has alot of age on it or has any cracking.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 PM
EthanJohns

The good ole dodge might be meetin the scrapyard. so i started it up to take it for a run around the block to see what she does and i pull out of my driveway and bam the damn thing just shut off on me and wouldnt start up for a couple of mins. im getting frustrated with it but i have this feeling its just something simple im overlooking.. when i get payed this week im gonna do a plug wire cap rotor job on it so see what happens.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Got good connections on that new battery? Had a 94 many moons ago and when the fuel pump started going out it would die, then after sitting for 5+ mins ,it would start.. go about a mile then die, sit for awhile then repeat.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 AM
EthanJohns

Quick question but could a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor be a culprit at for my trunk running dieing then not starting again?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 AM
pshicker
Amateur

Thats possible...

Quick Reply: 94 dodge 5.2 problems.. again..