2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case help advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:31 PM
kerryd15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transfer case help advice please.

Hi, New to the forum. I have a 98 Ram 1500 with 5.9 4x4. The transfer case is a 231 D. I had a knock under the cab when I hit a pump and did some looking. The front output shaft on the TC at the joint will move roughly 1/8 inch. The joints are good. seems like the shaft is pivoting on the outer bearing and the inner bearing- toward the rear- is completely gone. Truck has roughly 150,000 miles.

Would you try to split it and replace both bearings and all the seals? Look at a remanufactured? or Rebuilt?

I know the rear seal has a slow leak. Just not sure if replacing just those bearings will work. There has to be a lot of shavings in there.

Has not been a good year for the dodge.- water pump, plenum gasket, tie rods, all the ball joints, u joints, axle seals, brakes, not to mention the gas, no heat. Thanks for any advice.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the knowledge to split it and do a rebuild go for it... If your not comfortable just pick up a used one.. Put a t-case saver on it before it goes back into the truck though..

Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you're anywhere near as lazy as i am and would like to see the UPS truck pull up with a shiny new rebuilt unit and all you have to do is swap it out (1-2 hour job), then get the numbers off the plate on your old one and call this place -
http://www.transfercases.com/

Quick Reply: Transfer case help advice please.