2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overdrive Button not working right

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
bamajay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive Button not working right

So anyone know what would cause the overdrive off button not to work right? Is it the button its self or is there a sensor that could do this? It will turn off and on, but I have to wiggle the gear shiftier around to make it turn the overdrive off. I have a 99 Ram 1500 with the 318 motor. It has 131,500 miles on it and have never had any trans work done but to have seal replaced.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Chase Lejeune
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bamajay
So anyone know what would cause the overdrive off button not to work right? Is it the button its self or is there a sensor that could do this? It will turn off and on, but I have to wiggle the gear shiftier around to make it turn the overdrive off. I have a 99 Ram 1500 with the 318 motor. It has 131,500 miles on it and have never had any trans work done but to have seal replaced.
used to have a 96 that wouldnt go into overdrive if i didnt change the tranny oil and put new filters in often enough. id start with that.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like a broken wire or loose connection in the shift lever. to get a look at the wiring, remove the plastic covers from around the column and look for problems. you need a long skinny torx for the bottom cover. probably a #25. also, that OD button comes off, but i've never had mine off.

welcome to DF, get the service manual here.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...load-test.html

Quick Reply: Overdrive Button not working right