2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Ziggy2112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Wires

ok guys and gals.....tune up time, and I am ready to hear all the arguments about what the best ignition wires are....

I am concidering:

Mopar Performance
Taylor
Magnacor

let the debate begin!!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Taylors were junk, I'm using Firecore 50's on the Ram and the Dakota. Best made hands down.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my opinion - wire is wire and wire gauge is wire gauge and shiny graphics are pretty but don't add anything. but - to some degree (with a grain of salt) you get what you pay for.

i think its good to avoid the real cheap wires and get any premium-type set that boasts a lifetime warranty. expect to pay $30-40.

stock is 7mm, optional is 8mm but i don't think larger wire does anything unless you combine it with a real hot coil, and all that turns into a big waste of money since a spark is still a spark and the gasoline doesn't really care how hot it is.

let the debate continue..

Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Darren270
Rookie

I bought a set of Summit Racing 8mm wires because they were cheap and so am I. They do what spark wires are supposed to do...they work.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:03 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

The only advantage ti larger wires is the reduced chance of cross spark. The thickness difference is in the insulation not the wire. That being said no point in replacing the wires unless they are damaged ie. Brokem, melted, corroded. My 88 chevy has had the same plug wires on it for 150k because they are still in good shape.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Adobedude
All Star

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
my opinion - wire is wire and wire gauge is wire gauge and shiny graphics are pretty but don't add anything. but - to some degree (with a grain of salt) you get what you pay for.

i think its good to avoid the real cheap wires and get any premium-type set that boasts a lifetime warranty. expect to pay $30-40.

stock is 7mm, optional is 8mm but i don't think larger wire does anything unless you combine it with a real hot coil, and all that turns into a big waste of money since a spark is still a spark and the gasoline doesn't really care how hot it is.

let the debate continue..
That's why the Pro Stocks all run Taylors.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Adobedude
All Star

You can run what you want to, but why put a set of 30 dollar wires on a motor? Ever looked at your wires at night with the engine running? Try grabbing onto one?

Set the fuel sync with a ****ty set of wires?

No thanks, I'll get the get good stuff.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:45 PM
blindsided
Professional

I purchased Napa "premium" wires about a two months ago, not too much later I needed to pull the plugs for a compression check... went to pull the boots off the plugs and 5 of 8 left the metal sleeve on the plug :-/

Old 01-05-2013, 04:27 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running NAPA 8.5MM Racing Grade spark plug wires. Work awesome. Shielded very good as well. Only $80, but you have to make them to match your old ones.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer
I am running NAPA 8.5MM Racing Grade spark plug wires. Work awesome. Shielded very good as well. Only $80, but you have to make them to match your old ones.
I actually don't mind 'custom fitting' my wires, that way, I get to run there where I want them to be, and not where I am limited by the length of the wire.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Wires